Back ups = loss of sound quality?
Feb 22, 2006 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mokpie

Head-Fier
I've made a back up of a couple CDs I own so that I can use them on the road and not worry about losing them etc.

My question is, is there a significant loss in terms of sound when going from the original disc to a copy made by your computer?

thanks

Feb 22, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 9
If you are using a quality burner, there should be no problems. Burners that have good reputation are NEC, LG, Plextor. Anything else is largely hit-or-miss, with e.g. Sony being pretty bad in terms of error rate.

Feb 22, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 9
You should use EAC. Properly set up, it should be bit perfect.

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
You should use EAC. Properly set up, it should be bit perfect.

Yep, what he said.

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:24 PM Post #7 of 9
Bit perfect is ok with an entry level setup, I guess, but what if you are really into high fidelity and want nothing short of nanobit detail? Huh?
rolleyes.gif

(For those who don't know what a nanobit is, it's a 1000.000.000th part of a bit.)

tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
Bit perfect is ok with an entry level setup, I guess, but what if you are really into high fidelity and want nothing short of nanobit detail? Huh?

Then use Roxio Toast Titanium and get some of those black-vinyl CD-Rs.

Feb 22, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
rolleyes.gif

(For those who don't know what a nanobit is, it's a 1000.000.000th part of a bit.)

tongue.gif

yes, if your high-end cd player uses the decimal binary system, precision up to the nth nanobit is a must.
uhm, sorry
biggrin.gif

back to topic, there are two possible ways to screw up a backup: one is when ripping, the other when burning. but even if the copy isn't 100% bit-perfect (there might be errors because of bad scratches) the difference to the original should be negligible as long as decent recorders and media are used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back