Back To Square One <$200 HP for Gaming/Classical
Apr 29, 2016 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MohawkUS

1000+ Head-Fier
I completed my headphone journey just over a year ago, from 2008-2014 I climbed from the Grado SR80 to a TOTL Ultrasone with many stops along the way. And then I moved to speakers, and chained to my computer since has been a nearly decade old pair of DJ headphones. As there are some games coming out soon that have caught my interest I've decided I should invest in making sure it'll be a fun experience. I'll be trading up my claustrophobic unreliable DJ headphones, 1050p eye strainer, and thoughtless ergonomics for.. one thing at a time.

Despite the fact I've run through many headphones in the past my prior experience is of limited use to me right now. My music tastes and demands for my system have changed. I'm intending for these headphones to be used first for gaming(Strategy & Racing non-competitive) and for evaluating new music purchases online(Youtube quality, have speakers for 'serious listening.') I will be running onboard sound(Realtek 1150) and may have a good DAC with HP output in the future. Music will be predominantly classical, ambient, and experimental electronica(and combinations of the above.) I prefer an extended treble, defined bass, and crisp sound. Relaxed preferred however I'd drop this requirement if it meant treble roll-off. Soundstage accuracy is my priority because of my intended use.

On my list are the Audio Technica A series as I remember being impressed with the soundstaging of the ADs back in the day. However I am concerned that the bass may not be sufficient for engine noise in racing/space games. Ultrasone has been my go to brand however I know from experience the lower end models are apt to be too revealing.

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 3
I was considering the A-xx0Z series that is just making its way into the US now. I think I will go with closed headphones this time around.

Would it be to my benefit to split my budget to fit in a PC soundcard(with virtual surround functionality?) From what I remember in my first run up the headphone ladder SQ was as good as it was going to get from gaming from the <$150 mark. Positioning scales upward but not without proper software support. I have fond memories from what must have been 2009 playing Crysis MP 1v1 on a small map. ASUS Essence STX -> Grado SR-80i I was hunting the other poor bloke like a bloodhound to the point where he started cloaking and hiding. Unknown to him the buzz from the cloaking device only quickened his death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back