Back to basics...Grado-like earbuds
May 31, 2009 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Oya?

500+ Head-Fier
Hi HF,

I'm looking for a pair of earbuds that have a similar sound sig to Grados. The cheaper the better and they won't be for critical listening, just on-the-go. I have a MS2 if it helps.

I found the old-ish thread below with a few suggestions for the Yuin PKs; still good suggestions today, or are there anything else?
smile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/g...ud-iem-313633/

Thanks for reading.

May 31, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #2 of 9
I have not heard of the PK line, but the OK2 I have is very similar to the MS-1, but it definitely doesn't "ring" and resonate as nicely as the MS-1 when it comes to acoustic music. When I have the balls to open up my OK2 and remove the foams (for sh!ts and giggles) for a more "open" airy sound, I'll post the impressions.

I sincerely doubt any earbuds on the current market will trump the YUINs.

May 31, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 9
Grado have an emphasis on higher frequency and midrange which gives it a "coloured" sound signature that is very musical. Try EQing the buds and see how close you can get them to sound Grado-y.

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yuin OK2 sounds most simillar to Grados - fast, punchy and aggressive, very nice for metal. PK2 sounds quite muddy in comparison and reminds me KSC-75, not Grado. OK1, PK1, Audio-Technica ATH-CM700 are not simillar to Grado at all.

No IEMs I listened are like Grado (CX300, Vibe, D-Jays, ER-6i, ER-6, ER-4P/S, SA6, E3, E4, E500, UM2, Studio.f 3, Super.fi 5 EB).

kostalex is very knowledgable in YUIN earbuds, as most of the YUIN reviews are wrote by him.

I can vouch on the OK2. Though my MS-1 have punchier bass (don't worry, impact is still there). The mids and highs are not as "upfront" but similar. That's probably as close as you can get for earbuds.

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 9
I can attest to PK2 having a Grado-like signature, being sparkly and punchy and all. Then again, the only Grado phone I've ever had was the SR60 so take it for what you will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back