• Yamaha MT5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something Chinese

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Dec 19, 2017 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ahunatu

100+ Head-Fier
I need to get some new full size closed headphones under $170 preferably on Amazon.

Big fan of Yamaha MT220's, Koss Pro DJ100, JVC S500 in that order. I would prefer to get something similar to the MT220's signature but if there is something with much better resolution around same price I am okay with a different signature.

Did some research:
-Looking at Yamaha MT8 currently because it's supposed to be very similar to MT220's. Seems to be very well compared elsewhere to the MT220's but on the forums here they were kind of bashed and interest died down. It seems very unlikely they could be worse than MT220's as long as they have that great treble sparkle and resolution that I remember.

-M50X's -they're a safe bet and I've used them before, but they're more of a cheaper backup option because they lack a lot of resolution.

-V-moda Crossfade Wireless - I have no need for wireless headphones(they can be used wired) but their recent price drop and the fact that they are supposed to sound similar to M-100's make this one very interesting, I"m kind of a fan of the v-moda house sound although it's not very Hi-fi, from memory the earpads were uncomfortable though on v-moda's.

-Audio-technica MSR7's -I get the feeling they have that great MT220 treble resolution but I'm worried these don't have enough bass to balance the treble or mids levels.

I prefer a slightly V-shaped sound for rock/metal/industrial music. Headphones with strong mids are good too as long as there is some semblance of balance.

Any input would be appreciated.

PS. Not liking the forum redesign. I miss the old look.

Dec 19, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 6
The bashing was mostly me, since I didn't like the MT8 nearly as much as the MT220. But it is indeed a similar sound signature and certainly as close as you're going to get to the MT220 in an in-production headphone. (You can still import the MT220 from Amazon.co.uk.)

And yes, the M50x is inferior to the MT220 in an obvious way.

If you get V-MODA, be sure to also get the XL pads. (The stock pads are very uncomfortable.)

Here's a photo I took when I owned two MT220s and an MT8 at the same time. (Had a third MT220 before then.)

upload_2017-12-19_21-20-23.png

Side note: Believe it or not, I honestly think the semi-open on-ear Koss KTXPRO1 is superior to any of these despite costing under $20. (But it scaled considerably from the Chord Mojo. With cheaper electronics it wasn't so impressive.)

Dec 19, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 6
The bashing was mostly me, since I didn't like the MT8 nearly as much as the MT220. But it is indeed a similar sound signature and certainly as close as you're going to get to the MT220 in an in-production headphone. (You can still import the MT220 from Amazon.co.uk.)

And yes, the M50x is inferior to the MT220 in an obvious way.

If you get V-MODA, be sure to also get the XL pads. (The stock pads are very uncomfortable.)

Here's a photo I took when I owned two MT220s and an MT8 at the same time. (Had a third MT220 before then.)

Side note: Believe it or not, I honestly think the semi-open on-ear Koss KTXPRO1 is superior to any of these despite costing under $20. (But it scaled considerably from the Chord Mojo. With cheaper electronics it wasn't so impressive.)

I'm a sucker for hype headphones as you can tell by my favorites but that Koss is very hard to believe. Online reviews seem to backup a lot of what you're saying though. If they're half as good as you say Koss needs to fire their headphone designer and hire literally anyone and make millions!

That being said I like simplicity in my headphone setup -I should've said "portable" full size headphones. I don't wanna really carry around a DAC/amp. I doubt that koss would have anywhere near the resolution without an amp as those other headphones I have listed. Edit: Even amped those Koss headphones can't possibly have the details, soundstage, bass representation, etc of an around ear. I think you might have fallen in love with the balance of the headphone rather than resolution.

What you said about MT8 is good to hear though. Some of the other comments made it seem like it was worse than M50X.

I'm curious what headphone do you use most often now and do you always use dac/amp?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm a sucker for hype headphones as you can tell by my favorites but that Koss is very hard to believe. Online reviews seem to backup a lot of what you're saying though. If they're half as good as you say Koss needs to fire their headphone designer and hire literally anyone and make millions!

That being said I like simplicity in my headphone setup -I should've said "portable" full size headphones. I don't wanna really carry around a DAC/amp. I doubt that koss would have anywhere near the resolution without an amp as those other headphones I have listed.

Before I compared the KTX to the MT220 and MT8, I would have guessed the Yamahas would win out, but to my surprise, when I compared them directly, the KTX blew them away, along with all the other closed-backs I owned under $400. (Past that price point the KTX was outperformed.)

I was going to say try 'em out, but yeah...I wouldn't want to use the KTX without an amp, and it's semi-open so it leaks more sound.

What you said about MT8 is good to hear though. Some of the other comments made it seem like it was worse than M50X.

If I had to summarize the sound of the MT8 by only comparing to other headphones, it would be like a cross between the MT220 and M30x.

I'm curious what headphone do you use most often now and do you always use dac/amp?

Even when I owned four figure headphones, I would often reach for the KTX. I still have three pairs in a closet.

I use speakers exclusively now. If you're curious about headphones I used in the past, check out the previous inventory section of my profile.

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 6
Does anyone else have any experience with the headphones on the poll -Someone who still uses headphones.

Does anyone have any recommendations that aren't on the list -even on-ear ones would be okay. Quiet forum.

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 6
Don’t have a lot to add other than I would go for the V-Moda over the M50’s. I just think the bass on the M50’s is just too bloated for me. I’m not a fan of either but like the V-Moda’s more. This is not my preferred headphone response so take that with the proverbial grain of salt. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back