Back into Audio after 12 year hiatus
May 27, 2021 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

orind

New Head-Fier
I had been away from high end audio fro 12 years and finally decided to get back to listening to music. Of course a few things changed in the last 12 years--streaming music is all the rage so I had some learning to do (these forums are great for that--thank you). One of the advantages is all that gear I could not afford back in the day is a terrific value on the used market today.

Focal Celestee headphones-purchased new
Simaudio 430 HA D-used
DCS P8i-used
iMac Pro for streaming
XLO cables, Black Dragon cables for the headphones-new

The headphones just arrived today--I will see how they change with some hours of use, but so far, streaming to the Simaudio DAC I find them clean, clear, good resolution, and a little lean. Tonality of instruments is good. Comfort is good. So far I would call them Polite (or maybe my hearing has declined over the years).

CD player and Black Dragon cables should b here tomorrow. It will be interesting to compare CD's from the DCS to streaming to the Simaudio.

I will update this thread as equipment comes in.

May 28, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 12
Ahh--so much more what I expected--First up in the CD player is Bela Fleck Live Art Disc 2--Detail, smoothness, bass, clarity--everything I was expecting.

64393158349__0AF36DEE-FA1A-416D-930B-947D47DF7586.jpeg

May 31, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 12
Well, I absolutely prefer the sound through the DCS DAC to the Simaudio. Even though the Simaudio can handle higher sampling rates (the DCS is limited to 48KHz)--even with higher resolution music (Tidal) the DCS produces a clearer more spacious sound, with better bass definition. The Simaudio DAC is not bad--but, I bought the 430 HAD for its abilities as a headphone amp--it just happened to have the DAC option. I picked up a Simaudio Mind 2 to handle streaming duties and pass a digital signal to the DAC rather than convert the USB out from the Mac to SPDIF.

May 31, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 12
Well, I absolutely prefer the sound through the DCS DAC to the Simaudio. Even though the Simaudio can handle higher sampling rates (the DCS is limited to 48KHz)--even with higher resolution music (Tidal) the DCS produces a clearer more spacious sound, with better bass definition. The Simaudio DAC is not bad--but, I bought the 430 HAD for its abilities as a headphone amp--it just happened to have the DAC option. I picked up a Simaudio Mind 2 to handle streaming duties and pass a digital signal to the DAC rather than convert the USB out from the Mac to SPDIF.

Yeah...I forgot that the 430 HAD had a DAC as well...it has been that long since my last CanJam attendance...this ongoing pandemic really has put a dent in aspects of my memory. :-/

Jun 6, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 12
And as I jumped back into the hobby, and purchased a CD player/DAC, Headphone amp--behold, I discovered there are things called portable digital audio players--and my brain said hey, what about that? Ordered up an ibasso DX300 and AMP12 card for it, plus another cable for my headphones for plugging into it.

It will be interesting to compare the sound reproduction from the DX300 to that through the desktop set up, as well as playing the DAP through the desktop amp while at home.

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #10 of 12
I received my DAP (ibasso DX300/AMP12) and I must say, I am impressed. Hmmm--really wish I had thought to start with a DAP--it really has me questioning whether I need the desktop system, And of course, once I discovered DAP's, I had to start earning about IEM's--I have some 64 Audio 18t's on the way to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back