Back in the saddle again...
Feb 8, 2017 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

heavyharmonies

100+ Head-Fier
I've gotten "the itch" to do some can rolling, since I'm going to have to be spending some long hours at the office (GRR!), and music is going to be essential. I just received an Oppo HA-2 in the mail today and since the two new sets of headphones I plan to experiment with haven't arrived yet (Oppo PM-3, Hifiman HE-400i), I dug deep into the bowels of my desk and pulled out my old trusty Sennheiser HD-590. I still have two pairs and some extra cables and pads, as back in the day these were my "go to" for day long usage; without a doubt the most comfortable headphones I've ever encountered. I know they don't have the best reputation for SQ, but damn, they're comfortable.

With the HA-2, they are not nearly as bad as I was expecting. I expect them to pale in comparison with the new sets, but as a temporary stopgap they don't suck.

I had a chance to listen to the new AQ Nighthawk Carbon yesterday for a short period. Very nice! I may try to pick up a pair once they come down a bit in price. I'm intrigued with the NightOwl and the differences vs. the NHC. The place I was only had the NHC, not the NO.

Am also considering the Stax SRS-3100 if I can ever find a system on the cheap... well, just to be able to try some electrostats. I've always heard they're the epitome of cans and that even the entry level Stax can be a wonderful experience.

I don't know that I'll progress to messing with amps, unless I find the HA-2 to be deficient in some way.

It's been a decade or so, but it's fun to be back playing with headphones again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back