Back in the headphones (Focal, Sennheiser)
Dec 23, 2022 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

thyname

500+ Head-Fier
I recently bought a pair of the new T+A Solitaire T (wireless) for casual listening (and talking). They are fantastic. So maybe time to get back in proper headphones, after several years of absence. The Solitaire P is the obvious choice, but, too expensive.

So I am looking back at my preferred cans of that time, first the Sennheiser HD 800 (with SDR mod), then Focal Utopia (older version, not the 2022 obviously). I would also like to keep them open-back. My all-in one (headphone amp / DAC, streamer) is Matrix Element i2, but I am also looking to upgrade to Naim Uniti Atom Headphones Edition.

For the Sennheiser, I am not familiar at all with the 800S that replaced the 800. Is it worth looking into the 800S?

For Focal, the 2022 edition appears (judged on reviews) to be the same Focal Utopia, fixing some the issues of the original. So definitely a solid choice, but, I noticed the retail price is now $5,000 ($1,000 more the what I remember the price of the original Utopia to be).

Obviously, I would like to keep the new purchase as least expensive as possible. What do you guys think? Probably don't like to venture on other brands of headphones, big rabbit hole, that would require me to spend a lot of time researching, trying to audition, etc, time I don't have. Rather stay with what I am familiar with, and what I had preferred back then.

Thanks!

Dec 23, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 11
Welcome back! So you no longer have the HD800 SDR, is that correct? Only the T?

Dec 23, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 11
Welcome back! So you no longer have the HD800 SDR, is that correct? Only the T?
Yup. The only headphones I have are the T+A Solitaire T

Dec 23, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 11
I have not heard the T or the SDR mod, but I've heard the HD800, HD800S, Solitaire P, and last Utopia. If you liked the SDR, chances are the 800S will sound very familiar. The Utopia is not something I'd just go out and buy without hearing--some love it, some don't.

A used HD800S can be easily had for under $1050 and will resell around that same price depending on condition. I wouldn't recommend a used Focal.

If you can make it up to NYC in February, CanJam is a great place to demo everything and get you up to speed.

Dec 24, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 11
but I've heard the HD800, HD800S, Solitaire P, and last Utopia.
To be clear I used to own the H800 (no SDR first, done later), and the Utopia. Generally, I preferred the Utopia, but the HD800 did do a few things better (huge soundstage, airy).

Are you saying you personally prefer the HD800s over Utopia?

What did you think of the T+A Solitaire P? I heard it for about 20 minutes at the Can portion of Capital Audio Fest last month, and it sounded fantastic! It’s just so expensive. If money was no object, I would have bought it already. At the show, the Solitaire P was connected to the T+A HA 200 (DAC / Headphone Amp combo), which is crazy expensive and I cannot afford, so here is that.

Dec 24, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 11
To be clear I used to own the H800 (no SDR first, done later), and the Utopia. Generally, I preferred the Utopia, but the HD800 did do a few things better (huge soundstage, airy).

Are you saying you personally prefer the HD800s over Utopia?

What did you think of the T+A Solitaire P? I heard it for about 20 minutes at the Can portion of Capital Audio Fest last month, and it sounded fantastic! It’s just so expensive. If money was no object, I would have bought it already. At the show, the Solitaire P was connected to the T+A HA 200 (DAC / Headphone Amp combo), which is crazy expensive and I cannot afford, so here is that.

The Solitaire P is a great headphone, I just wouldn't pay that much for a new one. If money was no object, I'd certainly buy it.

Regarding the Utopia, I'm not a fan. Not saying the HD800S is a better headphone technically, but in many ways I prefer it over the Utopia. If money was no object, I still wouldn't buy a Utopia.

This is all personal preference... we each hear differently.

Dec 24, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 11
This is all personal preference... we each hear differently.
Totally get it. Spot on.

It sounds like we both agree on the T+A Solitaire P, barring the admission ticket, price.

In all honesty, I don’t have the time to go all over again with headphones audition merry go around, like I did several years ago. And the headphones for me are secondary to my speaker system, probably 10% of the time. I’d rather explore something I am familiar with first, and take it from there.

I appreciate you chiming in this thread. Happy Holidays

Dec 24, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 11
Happy Holidays to you, too!

Dec 24, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 11
Naim Uniti Atom is not good; neither is matrix element. Why don't you just get an amp in the $2-5k range and use your existing dac? Utopia is pretty good, but it's not quite full range and a relatively narrow soundstage compared with other top cans. I have always disliked HD800 (regardless of iterations), so I am not going to be much help there. Just go try some combos at the next CanJam.

Dec 24, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 11
Why don't you just get an amp in the $2-5k range and use your existing dac?
I cannot use my existing DAC for headphones (Esoteric N-01XD). It’s on another location with my speakers. Another room, different floor / level in the house. My headphones are going to be in the living room. If they are in the room where speakers are, I just listen to speakers. It does not make sense for me.

What makes the Naim Uniti Atom Headphones Edition not good? To me it checks all boxes. Headphone amp with plenty of power, DAC, Roon Ready streamer built in. Reputable company.
Utopia is pretty good, but it's not quite full range and a relatively narrow soundstage compared with other top cans.

What are the other top cans?

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 11
Naim always demos their Uniti with Utopia and the pair don’t sound good to me. I honestly don’t think there is an all in one unit that sounds good. As a good enough solution Weiss 501/502/504 and Utopia are probably as good as it will get with AIO and you can always use EQ, which Weiss excels at.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back