back in the head-fi game: help me decide on a new DAP/portable rig!
Feb 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

afphreak

100+ Head-Fier
for the last year or so, i've been content with my current "trans-"portable setup:

iRiver iHP-120 (rockboxed) -> mini optical to iBasso D1 -> line out to C&C XO -> then to either my UM2s, or D200s... its a great sounding rig, but i cant exactly walk all day with it in my pocket, its essentially 8"x3.5"x3" (just eyeballing it)

but i've been yearning for a more portable rig, like the slightly more simple "iPod Classic -> LOD to RSA Hornet" rig but the thing is, is i've been out of the loop for a while, i'm not exactly sure what the top dog DAPs or portable Amps are these days...

my only caveat is large capacity, so no flash, i'm always rotating out my library on my iHP-120 and i'd like to be able to leave most if not all my library on the DAP

i probably wont be changing my earphones quite yet, i still love my UM2s, but again, this is headfi, you never know
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 6
You have the key to your new DAP in your sig. hint: the big brother of your first source.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 6
Why not cut out the C&C amp and just use the iBasso as both a DAC and amp?

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have the key to your new DAP in your sig. hint: the big brother of your first source.

thats one option
smily_headphones1.gif
believe me, its on the board as well... the only thing i dont like about the zune is no line out, i know the hp-out sounds great, but i'd still like to have the option to use the line out without buying the microsoft dock
frown.gif
i got the flash zune for exercise, as i didnt want to risk the HD of the iriver to shock

Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not cut out the C&C amp and just use the iBasso as both a DAC and amp?

well, i tried that a while ago, and i actually prefer the warmer sound of the C&C better than that of the D1, but more to the point, i'm looking for a more modern source, the iriver is great, but sometimes, when i'm using it, i yearn for a color screen, larger capacity, and some kind of touch pad... that nav button is just a little small for my fingers to use as intended...

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by afphreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for the last year or so, i've been content with my current "trans-"portable setup:

iRiver iHP-120 (rockboxed) -> mini optical to iBasso D1 -> line out to C&C XO -> then to either my UM2s, or D200s... its a great sounding rig, but i cant exactly walk all day with it in my pocket, its essentially 8"x3.5"x3" (just eyeballing it)

but i've been yearning for a more portable rig, like the slightly more simple "iPod Classic -> LOD to RSA Hornet" rig but the thing is, is i've been out of the loop for a while, i'm not exactly sure what the top dog DAPs or portable Amps are these days...

my only caveat is large capacity, so no flash, i'm always rotating out my library on my iHP-120 and i'd like to be able to leave most if not all my library on the DAP

i probably wont be changing my earphones quite yet, i still love my UM2s, but again, this is headfi, you never know
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feel like I share a few of your traits, and rig items, both past, present and future. Let me tell you, I just got back in the game not too long ago, too!!! I took my first plunge into Apple and got a 120G Classic, which I then paired with a recently purchased pair of Westone W3 (though I have ALWAYS LOVED my UM2's), charged up my existing RSA Hornet, and ordered an ALO Bling Bling LOD. Lemme tell you, truly incredible listening has been the order of the day ever since. This is basically all I need!

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 6
iPod Classic 120GB, LOD & RSA P-51 Mustang is all you need IMO. Welcome Back & Good Luck.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Users who are viewing this thread

Back