Back-Fi
Oct 8, 2021 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dcguy73

Formerly known as dc_guy
Thought I’d start a thread for folks with back problems looking for gadget/remedy advice, such as myself. As I’m approaching 50, I find that my original back injury from 2006 (yoga-related, believe it or not) resurfaces with greater frequency than it used to. I’m attending physical therapy for the latest recurrence, and I must say, a lot of my best quality headphone time is spent when I’m reclining after doing my exercises with a heating pad or ice pack under my back. My family leaves me be while I’m having ”back recovery time,” which makes the combination of great sound and pain relief that much sweeter. I wouldn’t classify this as something terrible or life-constraining. I imagine a lot of guys my age have the same types of issues.

What gadgets or other remedies do folks find works for them in these situations? I’ve tried acupuncture, CBD oil, stretching, epidurals, lifting weights, walking, and other types of remedies, but inevitably, I find myself reclined on a heating pad with headphones on for stretches of time during the year.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 7
When was the last time you got a new mattress and the proper pillow for how you sleep (back, side sleeper)? Sleeping on your belly is the worst position. Back pains can be related to having an old sunken mattress and incorrect pillow type as that can lead to poor spinal support and alignment. I've had neck and shoulder pains which were caused by my pillow. Once I switched to the correct pillow after a week or so the pains disappeared.

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 7
I feel your pain! Well I feel my pain at least :)
Have you tried a Theracane?

I haven't! That looks like a cheap gadget that may be effective. Thanks for the tip!

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 7
When was the last time you got a new mattress and the proper pillow for how you sleep (back, side sleeper)? Sleeping on your belly is the worst position. Back pains can be related to having an old sunken mattress and incorrect pillow type as that can lead to poor spinal support and alignment. I've had neck and shoulder pains which were caused by my pillow. Once I switched to the correct pillow after a week or so the pains disappeared.

I appreciate the thought, but it's not the bed. My mattress is 3 years old and I have a powered adjustable frame, so i can set the head and foot of the bed to any height. My spouse and I have a split king mattress, so we can each adjust our side of the bed to our liking.

I'm a side sleeper and I have thought about switching up my pillow. Do you have a recommendation in that regard?

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 7
Definitely check out the Theracane. I’ve had mine for well over a decade and it’s awesome.
What has also helped my back pain is stretching hip / upper leg muscles and foam rolling on the side of the legs / IT band. When these are tight they pull on the hip and can throw of alignment of the lower spine.
I like the book / reference “Sport Stretch” by Michael J. Alter:

Sport Stretch, 2nd Edition: 311 Stretches for 41 Sports https://www.amazon.com/dp/0880118237/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7TTY4PVEX8NT91WYTK6P

Oct 9, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 7
I appreciate the thought, but it's not the bed. My mattress is 3 years old and I have a powered adjustable frame, so i can set the head and foot of the bed to any height. My spouse and I have a split king mattress, so we can each adjust our side of the bed to our liking.

I'm a side sleeper and I have thought about switching up my pillow. Do you have a recommendation in that regard?
I'm afraid I can't give a recommendation. It depends on the firmness of your mattress, your body and sleep position. In my case I'm a back sleeper. I have a hybrid mattress, meaning it's layered with spring coils at bottom, a couple different layers of other stuff and the top layer is 4 or 5 inches of firm but giving memory foam. My problem was I would sink (not deep) into the memory foam which was great, but my pillow was too high raising the crown of my head up / tucking my chin toward my collar bone. That caused my neck to be misaligned putting a lot of stress on the back of my neck and shoulders. That caused pain in the back neck muscles and shoulders down to the middle of my shoulder blades.

Since google is our 'friend' these days, all I did was search for 'best chiropractic pillow for back sleepers'. After reading some reviews I ended up getting a firm foam contoured pillow which supports the back of the neck and the back of the head is lower. I got it, but didn't think I would like a foam pillow as I've had down feather and polyester fill pillows forever. All I can say is that the foam pillow took about a week and a half to get used to, but I noticed that even after the first use the neck and shoulder pain was less and gradually it just disappeared. Been pain free for about a year now. I wish I would have acted on fixing my sleep posture when I first started noticing any pain, but you always think the pain is work related or something, never linking it to bad sleep posture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back