Back after 7 years - any good Shure 1540 replacements?
Sep 22, 2020 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TheAdmiralty

Head-Fier
Was just about to order new ear pads again for the good old SRH-1540s when I noticed "You last purchased this item on April 5, 2014." - feels like it was just last year. Huh.

I obviously love these things but they're not in the best shape anymore, so I was doing some trawling around trying to round up everything new that's been released since the last time I went shopping for new cans. Last thing I bought were a pair of Noble K10 IEMs back before they rebranded everything. Maybe you guys can help with that. Does anyone have any recommendations for newer cans, either open or closed, that have a similar slightly warm sound to the 1540s at <= $1000USD and that might be a bit of an upgrade?

I see a lot's happened... RazorDog audio apparently came and went, the ATH-M60/70x exist now, Audeze has quadrupled their lineup... guess I'll be here scrolling through things for the next two days catching up.

Sep 22, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 5
I owned the 1540 for a while, but the bass distortion got to me. I now use the Philips Fidelio X2HR/27 for my bass impact headphone. Love the comfort, fit, eacups, and especially the sound. I have the Aeon Flow Open, Takstar 580, and HE-400i to compliment the X2HR. I think if you like the 1540 you will like the X2HR.

Sep 22, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 5
I owned the shures for a while.While I liked them I had issues with hot spots on the headband and they also started distorting at higher volumes.
If you can live with the earpads the nèumann ndh20s might be worth considering.
The Denon ah-d5200 might work for you as well.
Couple of cheaper options for closed backs ,the akg k371 and the Mackie mc-350.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 5
Yeah, they're not exactly comfortable anymore but are light enough that even with the two pad strips gone that are just glued on, they're still not the worst things I've owned.

Ah, the Denon Dx200 series is back... I remember trying to find a pair but there wasn't a single one of any of them in stock in North America.

I just now figured out that MrSpeakers is Dan Clark Audio now, was wondering where exactly Aeon came from... I remember debating between the 1540s and MrSpeaker Alpha Dog at the time. I'll read some reviews of the Aeon Flow, seems like everyone likes it around here.

Sep 22, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 5
Was using the 1540 for 4 years until I got the Aeon 2 Closed this February which is indeed a nice upgrade. Better/bigger and more airier soundstage (sounds less like a closed model compared to the 1540), more detail & resolution, better isolation, seemingly a bit more laid back while having nice and fast bass and it just have a more "real" sound to me. I also find them to be more comfortable.

Dan Clark Audio also offers the ability to get perforated pads on it now that have it incredibly close to the Harman target if one wants that without having to EQ. The one negative is you basically need a powerful enough amp to make them reach their potential but that doesn't mean a super expensive amp. Believe there are options in the $150-200 range that will do the trick.

I've since moved to the Focal Stellia which is as you'd expect for the price, superior, but the A2C compares quite well to it and I still own my A2C. I am of the opinion that for a closed back, something in the A2C range is basically what you need to do to get a worthwhile upgrade to the 1540. I really feel the A2C punches above its price/weight class.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back