Bach: emotive cello/piano/violin/trumpet/voice
Feb 19, 2008 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Omega

500+ Head-Fier
Hi gang,

Two relatively inexperienced but appreciative classical newbs here, looking for joyful, emotive Bach to play at our wedding. We'll have a piano, cello and solo male vocalist (baritone, maybe bass)...and possibly a violin or trumpet, should the music make the case for it. HUGE church, glorious acoustics just asking to be filled with beautiful music. (Obviously, I'm asking for help identifying good musical works here, not good recordings) There's also the implied constraint that our musicians, while talented, are at the level of normal concert musicians in a metropolitan orchestra, not master level...so asking one to learn a particularly obscure or difficult piece it not possible.

Any recommendations for preludes, intro song and an exit song? Bach's cello suites are obvious, and we'll probably use at least a couple (particularly from Suite #1 in G). We're trying to avoid the cliched wedding songs, in preference for more musical stuff...but it is difficult to score an entire program so that it sounds consistent, using the limited instruments.

(note: non-Bach suggestions are great too)

Thanks! The classical waters run deep, and we appreciate any recommendations!

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 3
Look at this company, Last Resort Music

Their collections are interchangeable between different instruments (i.e same arrangements for different instruments), so you can pick the books that work with your available instruments. I use these for all my weddings, they are generally good arrangements that are not too difficult to play. Its great also because you can add other books to your existing collection later if you add other instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back