Baby, sometimes love just ain't enough...
Aug 20, 2015 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

kleefurd

Head-Fier
Background 

About a year ago, Westone released their new W-series in ears, and I happily jumped on the wagon when the W40 was released, only to realise a few months later the W50 and W60 was announced. Well, that is impulse buying for you... 

So after a year using and enjoying the W40, I was wondering there is any chance for upgrading the W40s, which led to trying out different ear tips, flawed, foams, silicons, etc. But nothing really worked well for me. 

By chance through this site, I read up about LEAR Hong Kong, and their innovative designs and custom in ears. One day while browsing their website, I noticed that they offered conversion services, which they call "re-shelling" service for popular universal IEMs. 

Arranging for "plastic surgery"

I took the chance and visited them in Hong Kong, and left my year old W40s in their care. The process was straight forward. Pick your configuration and finish, and they send you to an audiologist to have your impressions made. 

My choice was a wooden faceplate, softer silicon based shell, and was told that they will add a dynamic driver to the IEM to bring out more of the lower frequencies, technically making the W40 a five driver in ears. Nice... 

About a month later, TGXpress delivered the finished product to me. Here are some photos.

Cable - Back to Westone's

I ordered one of their cables as well, but it turned out that one side was a little faulty, and the mid-lows were overall too strong, and I didn't like it, so I took one of the original EPIC cables from Westone and trimmed the surrounding rubber at the connector to make it fit. No grief, it was a simple two minute job, and wow... the sound from the re-shelled W40s blew me away. As advertised, there is slightly more bottom end to the sound now, and I loved it. I only wish that there is something that I can do for the high frequencies as well, so I sent LEAR HK a Whatsapp message and Tat replied saying that it would not be a problem to find a cable that will help boost the high frequencies. 

Also, the fitting on the left ear was not as perfect as the one of the right (perfect fit), so I will be visiting them again in a month's time when I pass by Hong Kong on one of my business trips and LEAR assured me that it is a "fix as you wait" thing, nothing major needs to be done to ensure the fit is perfect. Very good service assurance from these guys. Thank you. 

At the meantime, I am boosting the high frequencies at source on my FiiO X5II to make up for the lack in the highs and enjoying the W40s all over again. The great thing about it? No need to burn in.

I would recommend anyone who wants to give their older W4R or W40s a new lease of life, although the service is not cheap, but it is well worth it. Nothing beats customs (I have been using custom IEMs at work for 15 years now) and you will appreciate the better seal and improved sound. 

LEAR HK providing tier one service is a big bonus. I am considering getting a pair of their CIEMs made for my wife too. That is how happy I am being their customer. 

Currently using the EQ function on the Fiio X5II to boost the slightly lacking high frequencies of the re-shelled W40s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back