Baby Orpheus anyone?
Apr 9, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 18
They look quite nice.
But $1750 for the HE60, without the HEV70, seems steep to me. I am sure there are someone out there who want one though...

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 18
I wonder too. The guy used to have quite a lot of very desirable Stax gear and rare AT woodies which he sold over the past year or two. My impression from seeing his FS ads is that the items are usually sold for a premium, but realistic price. However, the condition is usually very good, or at least they look so in the pictures. I haven't seen him online recently.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 18
Can't remember where, but have read a dutch review in a audio magizine about the HE60 HEV70 combo, and the didn't like it at all.

I did find this review, which states a metalic high, but overall pretty good. The strong point was the HE60 which should perform about 90% of the HE90, but the weak point would be the amp HEV70.

Just my 2 cents worth
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 18
A lot has been said about the HE60 but it's been scattered all over the place. Use the search function
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 18
The HEV70 is a horrible amp to say the least but the He60 is quite good and I even preferred it in some aspects to the He90. That's not to say that it isn't overpriced on the market as the Koss ESP/950 and Stax Lambda Signature do a lot of things better for 1/3-1/5 the price.

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 18
I'm going to defend the poor HEV70. For the size it is a pretty convenient amp that after a few hours works quite Ok. To have one handy is great in some office/bedroom setups when space is an issue. Besides, although this will sound frivolous, it looks pretty good. I'm still using it occasionally.

Bass in HE60 is punchier than HE90 and some people might prefer that. Still, the HE90 is better in many other things.

I heard the HE60 from HEV90 and I can assure you that it is not 90% of an HE90. Or perhaps it's that 10% the one that makes all the difference. Still, I like it. Don't get me wrong.

For that price (and without an amp no matter how bad it is for some people it is quite convenient to have it, and then again is not that horrible after several hours on) I'd rather get a O2 which I think it is a better and more refined phone. However, I have to admit that it has a brighter sound signature that some people might prefer and besides, it is not that exigent amp-wise.

Apr 9, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to defend the poor HEV70. For the size it is a pretty convenient amp that after a few hours works quite Ok. To have one handy is great in some office/bedroom setups when space is an issue. Besides, although this will sound frivolous, it looks pretty good. I'm still using it occasionally.

Bass in HE60 is punchier than HE90 and some people might prefer that. Still, the HE90 is better in many other things.

I heard the HE60 from HEV90 and I can assure you that it is not 90% of an HE90. Or perhaps it's that 10% the one that makes all the difference. Still, I like it. Don't get me wrong.

For that price (and without an amp no matter how bad it is for some people it is quite convenient to have it, and then again is not that horrible after several hours on) I'd rather get a O2 which I think it is a better and more refined phone. However, I have to admit that it has a brighter sound signature that some people might prefer and besides, it is not that exigent amp-wise.

It's cool of you to stick up for the little guy but in a direct comparison the small Stax amps are much better and that includes the old SRM-Xh. More control over the entire spectrum to let the phones do their own thing. There is also the monstrous failure rate of the earlier HEV70's but Sennheiser seems to have fixed it later in the production run.

Comparing the two He's on the HEV90 is not a good idea as the amp requirements are very different. The HE90 needs a more romantic amp with a medium level of power but the HE60 needs a very fast, transparent and powerful amp. They really wake up on the Blue Hawaii and show that they can stand up the HE90 in many regards while having a different presentation. Still there is very little that can be done about the mild midrange colorations and the upper midrange harshness. I think that the Koss ESP/950 can beat them hands down after a few mods to the housing as they are about par stock.

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 18
I love Milkpowders HE60 every single time that I hear it. It a great headphone which i frickin' love with Dire Straits. That said, I'd still pick the AMT as a partner headphone to the Omega 2. Maybe he and I should do a long term swap...

Still have yet to hear the HE90. Along with the 010, GS1K, PS1, RS1 and E9. I doubt that any of them however is lovely enough to ram the Omega 2 off the top spot or to more than momentarily shake the AMT or H2.

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's cool of you to stick up for the little guy but in a direct comparison the small Stax amps are much better and that includes the old SRM-Xh. More control over the entire spectrum to let the phones do their own thing. There is also the monstrous failure rate of the earlier HEV70's but Sennheiser seems to have fixed it later in the production run.

Comparing the two He's on the HEV90 is not a good idea as the amp requirements are very different. The HE90 needs a more romantic amp with a medium level of power but the HE60 needs a very fast, transparent and powerful amp. They really wake up on the Blue Hawaii and show that they can stand up the HE90 in many regards while having a different presentation. Still there is very little that can be done about the mild midrange colorations and the upper midrange harshness. I think that the Koss ESP/950 can beat them hands down after a few mods to the housing as they are about par stock.

Thanks for the comment. I didn't try the small amps from Stax and I wouldn't want to mislead people with the HEV70.

I still find it quite convenient and it's not only about being small, it's that the form factor (rectangle instead of squarish shape) always seems to fit nicely a small space left available on my desk in the office or in the bedside table. It works great over the Apogee Minidac too. And I like that Tantalum finish it has. Perhaps it is just a nostalgic thing. I know it's pretty much just a transistor doing the whole amplification and that it is not perfect but it gave me very good moments while I was discovering electrostatic phones. It might be that...

I think I tried both HE60 and HE90 from KGSS too and I did prefer the HE90. I see your point of having a fast amp backing up the HE60 but after trying different amps I would say that (for me) it is best to have tubes in order to tame a bit the HE60, although it took me a while to realize that. Anyway, having a BH, you have the best of both worlds!

Cheers.

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the comment. I didn't try the small amps from Stax and I wouldn't want to mislead people with the HEV70.

I still find it quite convenient and it's not only about being small, it's that the form factor (rectangle instead of squarish shape) always seems to fit nicely a small space left available on my desk in the office or in the bedside table. It works great over the Apogee Minidac too. And I like that Tantalum finish it has. Perhaps it is just a nostalgic thing. I know it's pretty much just a transistor doing the whole amplification and that it is not perfect but it gave me very good moments while I was discovering electrostatic phones. It might be that...

I think I tried both HE60 and HE90 from KGSS too and I did prefer the HE90. I see your point of having a fast amp backing up the HE60 but after trying different amps I would say that (for me) it is best to have tubes in order to tame a bit the HE60, although it took me a while to realize that. Anyway, having a BH, you have the best of both worlds!

Cheers.

The HEV70 has it's purpose and I used mine to let people try electrostatic headphones since the overload function stopped and excessive volume use. One of those that tried it is a professional opera singer and he loved it which says a lot about how much experience in the hobby matters rather then "good ears". It's a good beginners amp that's for sure and mates well with the Lambda Pro and even the SR-404.

The Blue Hawaii doesn't do much to tame the HE60 but it feeds it plenty of power and that matters. Still I didn't like it enough to keep either of the Sennheisers and so I sold them and kept the SR-Ω. The SR-Ω gives me a similar overblown soundstage and they are better over all then either of the HE's if I'm not in the mood for SR-007.

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Blue Hawaii doesn't do much to tame the HE60 but it feeds it plenty of power and that matters. Still I didn't like it enough to keep either of the Sennheisers and so I sold them and kept the SR-Ω. The SR-Ω gives me a similar overblown soundstage and they are better over all then either of the HE's if I'm not in the mood for SR-007.

I couldn't agree more. I stated in a few threads back on the day that an Omega1 makes the HE60 almost totally redundant. There is nothing that the HE60 can do that the Omega1 can't do better. It's like owning a SR-60 when you have a SR-225.

If you own a O2, it still makes sense to keep the HE60. If you are owning the O1s, it doesn't that much (if anything at all). Perhaps for convenience (being able to use it in the office at work without worrying much about the headphone, etc...) but not due to sound requirements.

Still, it doesn't make the HE90 totally redundant but it is very close to make it. The HE90 is a bit more euphonic and more forgiving with bad sources/recordings and sometimes you might want that. For me, the O1 is a better phone and closer to the real thing. I have no doubt about it. Still, the HE90 is very nice and I like it very much. It was my favorite phone for quite a while.

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #15 of 18
Not relevant to the HE60 being sold, but...

It's illegal for the seller to charge 3% more to people who choose to pay via PayPal. It would be the same as a store charging people more for using a credit card because the credit card company takes a piece of the transaction. There are definitely laws that say you can't do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back