BA Timbre
Jun 28, 2023 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BillCollins

New Head-Fier
I read about BA timbre a lot in reviews. I have several Etymotic IEMs and am having trouble appreciating this. What is BA timbre? How is it described to a newbie like me? Are there’s any songs that bring this out so I can understand this vs. dynamic drivers?

Jun 28, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 8
BA timbre can make certain iems sound a little unnatural, not real. It really depends on the implementation and/or quality of the BA drivers, as certain all-BA iems don't suffer from this. DD are also more impactful than BA, which can make them seem more natural and it's also why it's common to find BA/DD hybrids where the DD handles the low frequencies.

Jun 28, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 8
I read about BA timbre a lot in reviews. I have several Etymotic IEMs and am having trouble appreciating this. What is BA timbre? How is it described to a newbie like me? Are there’s any songs that bring this out so I can understand this vs. dynamic drivers?

Timbre AKA timbral accuracy is what I would define as "what lets us tell apart a musical instrument or voice, even when they are hitting the same note at the same fundamental pitch and loudness". In other words, does a violin sound like a real life violin on this IEM?

Timbre is very subjective, as it involves the listener having heard a real life violin before. Secondly, timbre may be more relevant in music genres that incorporate a lot of acoustic instruments, some genres have mainly electronically synthesized instruments, so timbre may not be the biggest priority there.

For example in the bass frequencies, even if 2 IEMs that measure the same on graphs, if one has a BA bass when compared to a DD bass, on listening, the BA bass generally sounds to have a shorter decay and less movement of air.

Jul 5, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 8
BA timbre refers to the sound signature or tonality produced by balanced armature (BA) drivers, which are commonly found in in-ear monitors (IEMs) like the ones you have from Etymotic. Understanding BA timbre can be a bit subjective and might require some experience and familiarity with different types of drivers.

In general, BA drivers are known for their accuracy, detail retrieval, and fast response. They are often praised for their ability to reproduce intricate nuances and provide a more analytical or studio-monitor-like sound. BA timbre is often described as clean, precise, and focused, with good separation between instruments and vocals. It tends to have a flatter frequency response compared to dynamic drivers.

However, some listeners find that BA drivers can sound slightly clinical or lacking in warmth, and this is where the term "BA timbre" comes into play. It refers to the tonal characteristics that some people perceive as being less natural or slightly cold. It's important to note that this perception can vary from person to person, and not everyone may notice or be bothered by it.

Jul 6, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 8
BA timbre refers to the sound signature or tonality produced by balanced armature (BA) drivers, which are commonly found in in-ear monitors (IEMs) like the ones you have from Etymotic. Understanding BA timbre can be a bit subjective and might require some experience and familiarity with different types of drivers.

In general, BA drivers are known for their accuracy, detail retrieval, and fast response. They are often praised for their ability to reproduce intricate nuances and provide a more analytical or studio-monitor-like sound. BA timbre is often described as clean, precise, and focused, with good separation between instruments and vocals. It tends to have a flatter frequency response compared to dynamic drivers.

However, some listeners find that BA drivers can sound slightly clinical or lacking in warmth, and this is where the term "BA timbre" comes into play. It refers to the tonal characteristics that some people perceive as being less natural or slightly cold. It's important to note that this perception can vary from person to person, and not everyone may notice or be bothered by it.
Thanks everyone for your knowledge and explanations. They help a lot. I think I'm in the category of not being bothered by it or appreciate the "problem" of BA timbre. I love Etymotic IEM's, a lot! I don't hear much difference in timbre between the ER2 series with dynamic drivers, vs my ER3 and ER4 series. Understanding the issue though is truly helpful. Thanks again!

Jul 6, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 8

This response feels like ChatGPT

Jul 6, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #7 of 8
You mainly want to pay close attention to the bass. Drums and similar percussion tend to sound limper and more fart-y on BAs, lacking that woofer-like tactile sensation of air being properly pushed, though it's more of a trend than an absolute law. The jargon you might hear used to describe it is "plasticky timbre". It's partially but not entirely attributable to BAs being more susceptible to low-end leakage as seal quality decreases.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks everyone for your knowledge and explanations. They help a lot. I think I'm in the category of not being bothered by it or appreciate the "problem" of BA timbre. I love Etymotic IEM's, a lot! I don't hear much difference in timbre between the ER2 series with dynamic drivers, vs my ER3 and ER4 series. Understanding the issue though is truly helpful. Thanks again!
No worries, any time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back