BA or TTVJ 307A for the PS1000
Feb 19, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe there are interior photos of the TTVJ 307A on Todd's site

I don't think there were ever internal shots of that amp posted either on Todd's site or anywhere else. Also, maybe it's just me but the 307A isn't listed on Todd's site at all anymore. I know he recently sold the demo (or had it listed for sale)...kinda makes you wonder what he's up to.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfoé /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I've tried them. As stated above, the concensus of balanced vs unbalaced seems to be in favour of the balanced option.
The only issue with the PS1000 are the grainy tops, which may be solved with a powerful amp like the 307a or the BA(?)

The PS1000 don't have grainy tops. It could be true on the GS1000 but not the GS1000i or especially the PS1000. It must have been the signal chain issue.
TBH I've always found Grado's, especially the big pad models to benefit from very low output impedances. John has tuned them using a hybrid amp, and actually best of the best for me what I heard from the salad bowl pad models came from solid state with near zero output impedance. OTOH, I haven't tried neither the TTVJ 307A nor the Balancing Act. I tried the PS1000 with a heavily modded ASL Twin Head MkIII with nice mesh plate 45 tubes on the output and I still prefered what my amp can do and I think the SLI-80 as well. I'm just not a SET guy when Grado's enter the game. The push-pull mode of the SLI-80 sounded better and more realistic to me.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PS1000 don't have grainy tops. It could be true on the GS1000 but not the GS1000i or especially the PS1000. It must have been the signal chain issue.
TBH I've always found Grado's, especially the big pad models to benefit from very low output impedances. John has tuned them using a hybrid amp, and actually best of the best for me what I heard from the salad bowl pad models came from solid state with near zero output impedance. OTOH, I haven't tried neither the TTVJ 307A nor the Balancing Act. I tried the PS1000 with a heavily modded ASL Twin Head MkIII with nice mesh plate 45 tubes on the output and I still prefered what my amp can do and I think the SLI-80 as well. I'm just not a SET guy when Grado's enter the game. The push-pull mode of the SLI-80 sounded better and more realistic to me.

It may had been a signal chain issue. Can't recall what was used. The highs/tops felt harsh though.

"I'm just not a SET guy when Grado's enter the game (1). The push-pull mode of the SLI-80 sounded better and more realistic to me (2)"

How come? Could you explain?

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parafeed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was posted. But by who, where, or when..... I don't recall.

307ainside2.jpg

Thank's for the picture Parafeed.

Are those Jensen capacitors? Does anyone know if they contribute to the transparent sound of the TTVJ?

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfoé /img/forum/go_quote.gif
El_Doug, would you mind putting up a link since I don't seem to find those pictures.

wow - their website completely changed! not only that, but the 307A amp isnt even listed anymore :/

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Also, maybe it's just me but the 307A isn't listed on Todd's site at all anymore. I know he recently sold the demo (or had it listed for sale)...kinda makes you wonder what he's up to.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hmmmm, I wonder...
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow - their website completely changed! not only that, but the 307A amp isnt even listed anymore :/

Todd said that not everything got put on the site. The omission of the 307A may or may not mean anything. He did sell the demo that was listed.

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #25 of 26
I saw the TTVJ 307A amp on their site the other day. It must have been just recently taken down. That may make the OP choice a bit easier.

I did hear the 307A with the PS1000 at CanJam and thought that it sounded great, but I didn't give it a long audition as I was more interested in the HD800 that just came out.

The other thing about the 307A tube is availability / choices of tubes. Craig used to offer the 307A tube with this BA, but now is offering the 300B and PX4, which both offer multiple choices of current production tubes.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #26 of 26
Thank you for your contributions.

I'll end this discussion/thread since the TTVJ is no longer available, and start a new thread under the "Headphone Amps (full-size)" discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back