BA or TTVJ 307A for the PS1000
Feb 18, 2010 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

dfoe

New Head-Fier
Greetings to you all.

Would the gentlemen and ladies of this forum help me with some questions?:

Would the Balancing Act be a good match with the PS1000?

Or is the TTVJ 307A a better choice?

Is there a third option for the PS1000?

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 26
The balancing act is going to be balanced. Do you want to balance the PS1000? The PS1000 sound very good from Cary Audio SLI-80 headphone out. Some folks appreciate what the Cary Xciter does for these headphones, others the EAR Yoshino HP-4. I am happy with my SS DIY construction.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 26
I have loved the TTVJ for all headphones I have used with it, the PS1000 included. It is very flexible, having inputs for single-ended and balanced headphones, a 4-pin output for K1000's, and impedance matching for high, low, and even IEM's.

I unfortunately cannot comment on the BA as I have not heard it.

Good luck.

And BTW, Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!!!

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The balancing act is going to be balanced. Do you want to balance the PS1000? The PS1000 sound very good from Cary Audio SLI-80 headphone out. Some folks appreciate what the Cary Xciter does for these headphones, others the EAR Yoshino HP-4. I am happy with my SS DIY construction.

I think balancing the headphones seems to be a favourable option, and ads to better sound overall. That is what I've read.

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have loved the TTVJ for all headphones I have used with it, the PS1000 included. It is very flexible, having inputs for single-ended and balanced headphones, a 4-pin output for K1000's, and impedance matching for high, low, and even IEM's.

I unfortunately cannot comment on the BA as I have not heard it.

Good luck.

And BTW, Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!!!

The TTVJ is a real "looker"
biggrin.gif
. Well rounded for shure. I know it is a subjective thing, but is it worth the amount of cash?
And how does it sound paired with the balaced PS1000? With your ears of course. Would you mind to describe it's "strenghts and weaknesses". Maybe compared to other amps.

My wallet........
smile.gif
Thank you for your concern.

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

gs1000.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfoé /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The TTVJ is a real "looker"
biggrin.gif
. Well rounded for shure. I know it is a subjective thing, but is it worth the amount of cash?
And how does it sound paired with the balaced PS1000? With your ears of course. Would you mind to describe it's "strenghts and weaknesses". Maybe compared to other amps.

My wallet........
smile.gif
Thank you for your concern.

No one but yourself can determine the relative value of things. The TTVJ is expensive and, how can I say this, looks "utilitarian." However, it is the sound quality that ultimately counts and I have found it to be the best I have heard.

The TTVJ is very, very neutral. Many tube amps have a warm, rich, and sometimes slightly woolly sound. A lot of audiophiles love that, and I admit that it can sound very good. To my ears, many of the top notch SinglePower amps fell into this category, as does the RSA B52. The TTVJ does not sound this way, but has a clean, clear, and detailed sound, but without ever sounding harsh or bright. I don't think it has any "weaknesses," but listener preference plays a big roll in this.

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 26
Yes neutral, but the PS1000 seem to have a warm sound. The important thing si that the combo can handle classical, acoustic, vocal music and rock well withouth being picky.
The RSA B52 is also one that I have to concider. So with the other suggestions.
What I meant about "value" is, if there really is a noticable difference between the amps listed, other than sound signature?

I'd love to see photos from the inside of a TTVJ, BA, Cary Audio SLI-80 and the WooAudio 5.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfoé /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to see photos from the inside of a TTVJ, BA, Cary Audio SLI-80 and the WooAudio 5.

I believe there are interior photos of the TTVJ 307A on Todd's site

Feb 19, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 26
I think the BA and the TTVJ 307A are both extremely competent amps and either would work well with your PS1000s. Both of them can be used single ended or balanced. They both have tube rectified power supplies. I've listened to both amps and I would say they both are closer to neutral than colored in any way. I prefer the BA due to price $3500 vs $5250 and I prefer the classic styling of the BA vs the more industrial look of the TTVJ 307A. Of course I am biased, since I own an Eddie Current amp, so you can take my opinions with a grain of salt :wink:

Feb 19, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #12 of 26
Have you already tried the PS1000 single-ended? I'm with Majkel (as usual) - I would personally be afraid to tinker with a 1700 dollar pair of headphones that already sound great. But that's just me...

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe there are interior photos of the TTVJ 307A on Todd's site

El_Doug, would you mind putting up a link since I don't seem to find those pictures.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the BA and the TTVJ 307A are both extremely competent amps and either would work well with your PS1000s. Both of them can be used single ended or balanced. They both have tube rectified power supplies. I've listened to both amps and I would say they both are closer to neutral than colored in any way. I prefer the BA due to price $3500 vs $5250 and I prefer the classic styling of the BA vs the more industrial look of the TTVJ 307A. Of course I am biased, since I own an Eddie Current amp, so you can take my opinions with a grain of salt :wink:

"I've listened to both amps and I would say they both are closer to neutral than colored in any way."

This is what I suspect. The big question would be if the only real difference between these two amps is a MINOR one.

It would also be interesting to hear/read what your perception is when it comes to the joy of listening to both of these amps. Are they a "joy" or analytical in an "engineering way"? How are the mids?

Do you have photos of the inside of the BA?

Your opinions are valid. I'll take them into my concideration.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by 563 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you already tried the PS1000 single-ended? I'm with Majkel (as usual) - I would personally be afraid to tinker with a 1700 dollar pair of headphones that already sound great. But that's just me...

Yes, I've tried them. As stated above, the concensus of balanced vs unbalaced seems to be in favour of the balanced option.
The only issue with the PS1000 are the grainy tops, which may be solved with a powerful amp like the 307a or the BA(?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back