B4 I Pull the Trigger (Denon D7000 + New Amp/Dac)
Jan 8, 2010 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

amdj

Head-Fier
After saving up some money and some research, I have finally come to a sense of what I want.

I've decided on the Denon D7000 set of headphones. I am a "bass head" but also enjoy the "sparkle" such of that of the UE Tripple.Fi.10s. I've read the D5000 might be good enough but for $120 more (from the website below) I can get the D7000...(D5000 is around $430 at Amazon and $550 in the link below)

Does anybody know if this website is fine to purchase from (D7000 of course)?
(I removed the link, they are not an authorized Denon retailer and are most likely trying to scam you (someone called them and they said they'll have them in stock within a week, yeah right)

Also, I'm almost dead set on getting the iBasso Mamba D4 for $220 ($20 shipping I believe). I have never owned an amp or DAC before. This seems to be a great starter kit.

Just to clarify, I don't need a 1'4 to 1'8 adapter correct? The D4 seems to accept 1'4 plugs.

I'll be away for the weekend and hope I get some helpful responses.

Thank you.

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 17
I don't know much about the website you have a link to. But I do believe the D7000 has a 1/4" plug on it. However, if the Mamba is anything like the Cobra (which I have) you will need an adapter to convert the 1/4" to 1/8". The Cobra only has 1/8" connectors and from the pictures the Mamba looks to have the same.

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 17
I just received my D7000s today and I think you will love them. They have excellent, deep, and authoritative bass. I believe the iBasso would have an 1/8" input, but the D7000s do in fact have a 1/4" plug, so you would need an adapter.

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 17
I am in the same boat as you im pretty set on getting a d7000 but having a hard time finding a place that is selling it at a decent price.

Karaoke Equipment is out of stock i emailed them and was told they will be coming in next week. The thing is they have the BBB logo but i could not find them listed in the BBB directory. Also the whois for the domain lists a residential address...

I tried calling appliancebestbuy to see if i can go and pick it up from their warehouse but kept getting a busy signal. I don't know if i would order online from them, the reviews were not good for their business practice.

Ill wait a bit and maybe call JandR to see if I can get the 550 price if you find a place that sell its a decent price let me know!

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 17
As for the adaptor situation, I can't answer your question, but I can say it's the other way around for my D5000s I have to use a 1/8 to 1/4 adaptor for my Compass. It doesn't affect sound quality at all (yes I've heard D5000s without an adaptor and with an adaptor on the same amp, HeadRoom Desktop, there is literally no change in sound).

So I wouldn't worry about SQ loss if that's what you were worried about if you do end up having to use one.

Also, there's no way those are D7000s at that price. The best price I've ever seen is ~$600 from J&R and you had to call them to get it.

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 17
Bah just get a used LA2000
biggrin.gif
If you can't find one, yes for that price, the D7000 is definately worth it! It's usually like $999 online. There might be sound quality loss but only whe you get into like a $3000 CDP, DAC and amp combo with a D7000 that is re-cabled with JenaLabs'copper cable. I would recommend getting an amp with a 1/4" headphone out though. I have a Qinpu A-3 and it has 1/8" headphone out whihc annoys me coz I have an ALO-780 with 1/4" plugand it's really anoying to use an adaptor, now I need to spend like $25on a grado adaptor cable because using the 1/4"to 1/8" adaptor is annoying coz it sticks out so much with the Furutech 1/4"on the alo-780. I have to move the Qinpu forward to me andthen the RCA cables from my Zero DAC barely reach, I should have gotten 1.5M RCA lol
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 17
I appreciate the responses so far (at a relative's house so I just quickly read everything). I will call J&R as well and if I can get it under $600 I will go for it. Does anyone know for sure if it includes an adapter for 1/4" -> 1/8"? From what I'm reading, it seems like it does not...If not, what quality adapter do you recommend? Thank you...

I'll let everyone know if I find a good price.

Thanks again!

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 17
I just use a cheap $2 one from China but other than that, something like the Grado adaptor would be nice. I am planning on either buying a Grado adaptor, (I think it's a) Moon Audio or just get a new amp to power my ALO-780 with ease and also with a 1/4" headphone out so I can plug the Furutech plug straight into the amp, defeating any need for any adaptors. They can degrade sound quality and/or put stress on the jack.

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by amdj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I appreciate the responses so far (at a relative's house so I just quickly read everything). I will call J&R as well and if I can get it under $600 I will go for it. Does anyone know for sure if it includes an adapter for 1/4" -> 1/8"? From what I'm reading, it seems like it does not...If not, what quality adapter do you recommend? Thank you...

I'll let everyone know if I find a good price.

Thanks again!

Grado 6.35mm-to-3.5mm adapter cable is decent. You can find it for around 15 bucks. I personally didn't notice any audible difference b/w that and a cheap 2-buck Arista adapter but it's up to you.

Jan 10, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 17
The D7000s are furnished with a 1/4" jack and do not ship with a downsizing adapter. You'll have to spring extra for that.

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #14 of 17
Looks like I'm going to jump the gun once and for all @ $600 from J&R (I got offered $650 my first call) for the Denons. I'm going to pick up the Grado adapter as well. I hope these pair nicely with the iBasso D4 Mamba. Back to full sized cans at last! Special thanks to Jyle_T, Stang, and jsplice. I'm looking forward and hoping for some stunningly lovely bass and sparkle that many speak of the 7000s.

Oh yes, one more thing, do not order from that website, they are not an authorized Denon retailer (meaning you won't get warrenty benefits from Denon). Anybody who shows some cans that are in stock online but tell you over the phone that they'll be "over in a week" are flat out most likely trying to scam you. Headphone Solutions and J&R are the most competitively priced places to get them along with great feedback.

Edit: I'm 95% sure I'm going to order by Friday (waiting for my stock broker to put some cash into the bank...it's a 3 day wait after selling a stock but it feels like forever!!
angry_face.gif
)

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 17
No problem, always glad to help
smily_headphones1.gif
I am sure you will love them, from the reviews, they seem to be a very good set of cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back