B22 Price and other questions
Oct 1, 2010 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Arlekiin

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

So I'm having a difficulty in determining the real cost of a proper 3 channel B22. Or is there a real point in going 4 channels from the start?
At the moment my price ceiling in parts is around 1-1.5K USD and I was planning to get a Wooaudio 6SE but since I use amps alot and may forget them on from time to time I think using an expensive valve amp as a main amp would prove expensive if you burn through Princesses like matches.
In conclusion I have decided that B22 would be a proper box for me and would cover many of future needs for headphone amplification. 
So if I you could let me know how much you planned to spend on your B22 designs and how much you actually ended up spending because I bet these numbers can differ quite abit also lets assume that the case is simple but functional no need to count in gem encrusted marble coffins :p

Thank you for your time...

Oct 1, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 19
mine is probably ~$800. 3 channel

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 19
How hard/complicated it was for you to finish?

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #4 of 19
It dosnt matter how hard it was for him. It matters how hard it will be for you. I guess you can never predict this with absolute certainty, but a good estimate can be made based on your previous experience compared to the information on AMB's sites in addition to old threads. 

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 19
dual monoblock build (separate ps for each channel) could be cheaper, give better perfromance than "3-channel" - use separate R,L headphone driver gnds ("balanced headphone cable") and the system should deliver the best the B22 boards can

I really don't understand how headfi fashion has lead to rating "3-channel" ahead of dual mono builds? - or is it just no one ever brings up dual mono?

and you're in a excellent position to eventually go 4-channel fully balanced at a later date if you can't resist upgraditis

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 19
I think the reason behind recommending the 3-ch build over a full dual mono build is the fact that you don't have to re-terminate all your phones with a 3ch build.

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
dual monoblock build (separate ps for each channel) could be cheaper, give better perfromance than "3-channel" - use separate R,L headphone driver gnds ("balanced headphone cable") and the system should deliver the best the B22 boards can

I really don't understand how headfi fashion has lead to rating "3-channel" ahead of dual mono builds? - or is it just no one ever brings up dual mono?

and you're in a excellent position to eventually go 4-channel fully balanced at a later date if you can't resist upgraditis

I don't expect a one on one tutorial here, but I see you posting everywhere about the differences between 3-channel and dual/individual transducer ground back to the PS. Perhaps you could take just a moment and explain just a bit more about why individual transducer grounds back to the PS ground has an advantage over a single/shared ground referenced to the rails.

Not to take the thread too far off course, but this one could benefit everyone here, including the OP.

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:

Quote:
Dual-mono, to him, is a 2-channel B22 + 2 S22, not balanced, I think.

Dual-mono to him is a 2ch B22 + 2 S22, with a "balanced headphone cable". 

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 19
First of all thank you all for your replies....

So it seems that ~1000 USD is a reasonable budget for this project. 
Also it seems that the standard 3ch build makes sense. 

As for my experience, I am comfortable with soldering iron and I have most of the tools needed alltough I have never done any work with mofsets etc...(except fixing my motherboard once :p)
Dealing with these boards would be my first, if possible I would like to find some help to get it finished fast as I am mainly interested in getting it up and running.
If im doing it alone it would probably mean that I would follow steps but wouldnt all of them...

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 19
Hmm thats a not good...dont want to engage in hours of debugging....or days or even weeks...

Oct 1, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
How hard/complicated it was for you to finish?

the soldering was pretty simple, no surface mount (took maybe 8hrs).  wiring took a bit of time(probably 4hrs) but i was lucky enough to have my beta22 start working right away.  I still havent had the chance to drill holes in the cases i bought so everything is still lying around haha. 

Oct 1, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 19
That's why you take your time researching and reading about it, then take your time building carefully by checking and rechecking everything is done right. That way you don't have to worry about it blowing up on you.

Quote:
Hmm thats a not good...dont want to engage in hours of debugging....or days or even weeks...

Oct 1, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #15 of 19
another 1st project b22er?  glhf:)   it is definitely a challenging build but very rewarding.  go back a couple of pages on the DIY section and there is a ton of information for the B22 (just about everything you wanted to know).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back