B22 or EHHA for HD800?
Mar 9, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #32 of 47
Bumping this thread because I'm having a similar predicament at the moment. So many choices, so little time.
frown.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fishski13, you may be right... let me elaborate, the HD800’s are apt with dynamics, transparency and generally most other traits of a good system. What they lack is ebb and flow and the context of phasing or linking passages together, whether they distract your attention with something else I can’t answer or put my finger on exactly what it is. I do have a suspicion that the slight lack of upper bass and lower midrange could be the key, and it’s probably something that I value personally with my system and at the moment it’s not quite right for me.

Oh dear, your in for a long wait, I’m very slow at building.
Ferrari, a very talented chap has built both, he may chime in...

The B22 is billed as techinically one of the best performing amps one can build. ITs power, transparant and fast (according to others).....

so why not start playing with the front end.

I have just built a new dac, based on the ad1865nk chip, with a valve output stage. That adds just the right amount of colour.... it makes my simple jaycar amp sound a bit more 'bijou like' (bijou is quite a colourful amp.)

food for thought.

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The B22 is billed as techinically one of the best performing amps one can build. ITs power, transparant and fast (according to others).....

so why not start playing with the front end.

I have just built a new dac, based on the ad1865nk chip, with a valve output stage. That adds just the right amount of colour.... it makes my simple jaycar amp sound a bit more 'bijou like' (bijou is quite a colourful amp.)

food for thought.

adamus, that’s a very good point! I may be going around this the wrong way...
after the EHHA, next build in line is another front end source. Congrats with your build, it’s a great looking piece of kit.

Mar 9, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #35 of 47
I must also retract my statements about the stacker handily beating the EHHA as the EHHA was running the 6H30s at the time which were completely missing the point. Once 6GM8s were swapped in, the magic was all back and the gap suddenly thinned out between the stacker and the EHHA. The stacker still edged out the EHHA by a fair enough margin.

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
adamus, that’s a very good point! I may be going around this the wrong way...
after the EHHA, next build in line is another front end source. Congrats with your build, it’s a great looking piece of kit.

I'm looking forward to your comparison between the EHHA and B22.
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bumping this thread because I'm having a similar predicament at the moment. So many choices, so little time.
frown.gif

just go with EHHA...
tongue_smile.gif

enuff b22 already...
tongue.gif

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #38 of 47
Hello Gents,

I thought I’d raise this thread from the dead and update everyone with my findings now that I have a balanced EHHA build complete.

It’s really been a shock how good the EHHA is, I never actually thought it was going to compete with the Beta22. I’m hearing a lot more into the recording with EHHA, I won’t go all out here into audiophile drivel, but the EHHA combines lots of detail into a very enjoyable listening experience.

I prefer the EHHA by fairly wide margin, it’s bought back a sense of musicality the Beta22 for me doesn’t project with the HD800’s. It could be my personal taste or system synergy who knows, maybe the HD800’s just need a little tube love, but I’m throughly hooked.

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #39 of 47

Quote:
Hello Gents,

I thought I’d raise this thread from the dead and update everyone with my findings now that I have a balanced EHHA build complete.

It’s really been a shock how good the EHHA is, I never actually thought it was going to compete with the Beta22. I’m hearing a lot more into the recording with EHHA, I won’t go all out here into audiophile drivel, but the EHHA combines lots of detail into a very enjoyable listening experience.

I prefer the EHHA by fairly wide margin, it’s bought back a sense of musicality the Beta22 for me doesn’t project with the HD800’s. It could be my personal taste or system synergy who knows, maybe the HD800’s just need a little tube love, but I’m throughly hooked.

glad to hear you're enjoying the EHHA.  what i really like about the design is that you can tweak the feedback to suit taste and associated gears.  the new revision should be very popular and a cheaper build with the on-board PS. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #40 of 47
Interesting to hear John, both that you've it finished, and that you're enjoying the sound more than the Beta22. I know what you mean about being nit-picky with the HD800, I love mine but have been struggling with finding just the right little change in the sound that I'm after (as you know). I've not found it yet, but recently spent a week or so away from home (and consequently my HD800 rig). On returning home, I was reminded of how damn good listening to music through them sounds :)

Given how much you seem to be enjoying the EHHA, it sounds like I will have to keep my hands firmly clasped around my wallet so as not to allow it to open again... Very curious to hear it!

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #41 of 47
A break away from listening can have a big effect upon your previous perceptions LOL. My opinion is that the HD800 does need some tube love, be it from the DAC output stage or the amp itself. The HD6xx’s are a great match with the Beta22, I never had a problem with that system, the introduction of the HD800’s threw a big spanner in the works. Whilst I preferred the sound in almost all respects, there was a detachment and a hard edged treble that would eventually creep in, a DAC upgrade improved things greatly, the EHHA has balanced this even further again. At the moment I can’t put my phones down, that to me speaks volumes. 

Your welcome up anytime for a listen Cameron, so the GS1 didn’t cut the mustard?

Sep 6, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #43 of 47
Well that's a very generous offer I would be a fool to refuse! Is it forward of me to suggest I just move in? Think of the amps if we combine our disposable incomes!

GS-1 was a very nice amp, but didn't make much/enough of a difference to quality. I was quite surprised TBH, really expected I would be buying it, but I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to hear one all the same. If my upgrade path were a little different I would have bought it without hesitation, but I've decided that I'm still really happy with my DAC1PRE as source (always have been) and am not feeling the need to move away from it. So in looking for an amp, I'm planning to go balanced and spend silly money. Hooray!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back