B22 issues
Jan 7, 2010 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

hockeyb213

BANNED: BAD TRADER
Well I bought a balanced rockhopper built b22 from another head-fier on here and it came in today and I have to say something seems wrong. Compared to my Da11 headphone out or even my Rx out it sounds like trash. As far as I can see there can only be 2 reasons for this. One being that the amp was sold to me defective from the other member ( I really don't want to believe this happened because that would truly not be cool) or two it was damaged during shipping (from the way the amp looks I have to doubt this could of happened). Does anyone have suggestions of what I should do?

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 18
1. Define "trash" in more specific terms. Distorted? Unbalanced (L to R)?

2. How hard would it be to open the chassis and have a look at the boards?

3. I just read that you're using balanced inputs and trying to get SE output, that may not work with this particular beta22.

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 18
Brad, to many possibilities and scenarios are at play here unless you have DIY experience, firstly have you contacted the other head-fier? That seems thee logical first step, and go from there.

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 18
There is a third explantion for hte poor sound:

The third option is that your sources both sound like trash and the B22 is transparent enough to show it.

Just a thought.

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 18
I did contact the other head-fier John thanks for suggesting that n_maher I can open the chases but I need to get a new hex screw driver as my set is too large for these particular screws. As for the single ended bit I am pretty sure it is suppose to work especially since the last owner used it this way and said it was fantastic so I doubt that is the issue.

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Define "trash" in more specific terms. Distorted? Unbalanced (L to R)?

2. How hard would it be to open the chassis and have a look at the boards?

3. I just read that you're using balanced inputs and trying to get SE output, that may not work with this particular beta22.

Trash as in the amp has no tonality to it. It just sounds very I don't want to say distorted but very off...the body and fullness of the sound is just not there and I know it is not the way the b22 should be sounding.

Well rockhopper just sent me a pm probably saw this thread so I think thrice will be able to fix things up for me. Will keep you guys posted.

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 18
I pointed thrice to the thread, I'm sure you'll get it sorted.
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 18
Ok will need to do some more testing now but if that is the issue that would be a awfully dumb issue on my part I have only been feeding it single ended from the iphone will need to grab a rca interconnect somewhere in my house to feed it single ended off the da11

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok will need to do some more testing now but if that is the issue that would be a awfully dumb issue on my part I have only been feeding it single ended from the iphone will need to grab a rca interconnect somewhere in my house to feed it single ended off the da11

Sounds like a good idea. The Beta22's sound quality is as far from "trash" as you can get. I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you sure you have the switch in the back configured correctly?

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #14 of 18
Set it up again using rca out of the da11...problem solved. The former owner mislead me and told me that it was fine to use a balanced input with unbalanced cans which obviously not the case. Got the da-11 feeding single ended into the beta and now into the hd800's single ended and yes sounds very correct now :p. Thanks for all the help guys I knew starting a thread would solve the mystery.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the switch bat should point to the input you're trying to use.... so push it left for balanced input and push it right for SE.... the other balanced connectors are either a loop out or preamp out... the female XLR jacks are the input.

Yep I knew that all is well now just the last buyer was misinformed and used his setup that way and he said it worked but most definitely not on mine. Something instantly rose a flag when the b22 sounded significantly worse then the da11 out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back