B&W P7 vs Beyerdynamic T70p vs Sennheiser Momentum (over-ear)
Jan 24, 2014 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

teeejay

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I am into buying a new headphones for me. It should be low impedance headphone, since their main use will be - accompanying me during my traveling in subway, bus, etc. But also listening at home.
The main device, I'll be using with them, is the ubiquitous iPhone.

I do not really need superb noise-cancelling, like the one, that Bose offers. I want the sound quality. 

Now. I own B&W C5, which I think, are not really worth of the premium price, in case of sound quality (I understand the attractive look), I had paid for them. And due to my small ears, I sometimes have fitting problems. And they are not really comfy for me, so I decided to go with over-ear headphones.

In terms of over-ear headphones I own, for like 6-7 years, Bose Quiet Comfort 2 headphones, they are good (the best) with noise-cancelling, but they lack sound quality and I also do not like the plastic feel of them. I was really surprised, when I had visited a shop with electronics, and tried out Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, which to my senses, were sounding better than my Bose, at a nearly half of the price.

I do not have any chance to tryout the three mentioned headphones, I asked in few shops, to take them out of a box for me, but I was refused.

I tried out Momentums the on-ear variant, but I felt like, they were not really comfy, mainly on top of my head, the band. I do not know if the Momentums on-ear are built the same, if yes, I would not pick them.

Since I own MM-1 from B&W, which I really adore, my eyes spotted the P7 headphones, which were even mentioned on this site, by reviewer Lan647, who basically loves them. I really like the look, I do also believe in Lan647 subjective opinions about how they sound, but I am worried, that because of all the quality material, they will be quite heavy and not really comfy. The same thing as Momentums, I cannot try them out.

The headphones I know the least about are T70p, there are not many reviews or unboxing on YouTube, for example. Is here anyone, who could share some opinions about them? 

From the three I mentioned, the T70p are most likely the adept I would by, because even from pictures I see, that they will be really comfy, but on the other hand, I do not have any information about how they sound, how are the mids, lows, treble. And if they are really worth the money over the mentioned P7 and Momentums.

Could you please help me out with you opinions on any of these three headphones? 
With which would you go and why?

Thank You.

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 16
  To each their own, I can see how it wouldn't be able to stack up to the P7 in that department.

I had to google that idiome, my english is not that great. I learned something new. Thanks. 
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 16
I do not really care about the size of the headphones, if it is comfy and sounds well, then the size do not really matter at all, since wherever I go, I have my backpack with me. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 16
Hi,
My suggestion is to go for the beyer t70p. I auditioned p7, momentum over-ear, and nad hp50. I was hooked on hp50 until I heard the t70p. P7 had to strong but loose bass, hp50 very good impression but it colored the middle frequencies so that a live violin sounded artificial to me. (I play the violin myself). Momentum was very bleak in my opinion. Sorry for the very short and somehow dogmatic statements here. They are only my opinion of course. The t70p on the other hand has a beautiful resolution, lots of air or should I say ease in the audio reproduction. They are easily driven with 32 Ohm impedance. Make sure that your amp has low impedance output like. 4 ohm or less. I enjoy thes cans a lot!

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #9 of 16
I auditioned the P7, Momentum (around-ear), and Bang & Olufsen H6.  Sound-quality wise, I would rank them Momentum > H6 > P7.  Comfort-wise, H6 > P7 > Momentum.  The P7s certainly looked luxurious, but the leather pads were actually pretty stiff.  The Momentum and H6 have ridiculously soft and plush leather pads, but the H6 actually goes around the ear whereas the Momentum sits on part of it.

The P7 had a high-quality sound to it, but definitely exaggerated bass, especially when compared to the other two pairs.  I thought the Momentum and H6 both sounded exquisitely clean and detailed, but the Momentum had more bass presence.  Had comfort been equal in both sets, I probably would have gone with the Momentum.  As it is, I went for the H6 and stand by that decision given what I was looking at.

The only thing I'd point out about the H6 on the negative side is that I noticed I had to give them more volume to get listening levels I was used to, both through my phone and laptop.  I never ran into a case where they weren't loud enough.

These were all on-hand at a local Best Buy Magnolia center, and at least the P7 and H6 were also at an Apple Store.  Highly recommend you make it to one of those places to audition them in-person if that's at all possible.

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #10 of 16
I sell all of these headphones and can give you a very in depth in to them. Personally I own the P7's right now they are my favorite over-ear I've heard. I love their warm sound and the comfort is wonderful. The soundstage and depth is very on point and accurate with what I was seeing (I used actual games to test this as well as music) and had some on the best imaging I can even try and think of, when I'm relaxing and playing these I seriously feel as if I'm right there listening. Now they are very mid focused (which for me I enjoy for I feel that is the life or your music) and also push slightly heavy on the bass but by no means do they sound distorted or false but focused.

The T70p is BY FAR the most comfortable headphones I've ever used (I'm actually wearing them now) and more than likely the next pair I will be purchasing. The soundstage on these are also by far the best of the ones in discussion. These I really enjoy for when I'm wanting ACCURATE musical listening (for these are referance class headphones so they're unbiased to the bass or treble how it's recorded is how you hear it) as to wear the P7's would be more for relaxation and fun. In terms of travelling these are going to be the most "inconvienient" as to wear both they and the case is very very large BUT counter this by being very light weight. Lastely if listening to live music these are scary how clean and detailed they are again I love my P7's and their sound but they I've learned are more for the FLAC files or I guess "normal" files for the Beyer's are just amazing I hear people chattering beside me I can hear rustling of info sheets etc... very very clean and astonishingly detailed. A potential huge downside to these are that they do not have a removable cable nor a mic.

Finally the momentums, similar to the P7's I find these have a very nice warm natural sound to them. To customers I describe them as being "as close to a reference class you can get without being reference" for I find these to be colored to the bass side. In terms of comfort I find these to be the least of the ones mentioned and also not for any ear for I find the cans to be a tad small and also like the Beyer's I find both the headphones and the case to be rather on the bulky side. As far as soundstage I'd put them right on the same par as the P7's but maybe slightly cleaner. Though I do enjoy the Momentums I much prefer the other two. The comfort and sound quality for what I like in music are much outshined by the other said models.

So overall I'd rate them like this

Traveler Friendly
P7-Momentum-T70p

Sound quality/fun
P7-Momentum-T70p

Sound quality/accuracy
T70p-Momentum-P7

Durability
P7-T70p-Momentum

Weight (light to heavy)
Momentum-T70p-P7

Soundstage
T70p-P7/Momentum (very very similar as said the Momentums are slightly cleaner but the P7's have a better depth)

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 16
I sell all of these headphones and can give you a very in depth in to them. Personally I own the P7's right now they are my favorite over-ear I've heard. I love their warm sound and the comfort is wonderful. The soundstage and depth is very on point and accurate with what I was seeing (I used actual games to test this as well as music) and had some on the best imaging I can even try and think of, when I'm relaxing and playing these I seriously feel as if I'm right there listening. Now they are very mid focused (which for me I enjoy for I feel that is the life or your music) and also push slightly heavy on the bass but by no means do they sound distorted or false but focused.

The T70p is BY FAR the most comfortable headphones I've ever used (I'm actually wearing them now) and more than likely the next pair I will be purchasing. The soundstage on these are also by far the best of the ones in discussion. These I really enjoy for when I'm wanting ACCURATE musical listening (for these are referance class headphones so they're unbiased to the bass or treble how it's recorded is how you hear it) as to wear the P7's would be more for relaxation and fun. In terms of travelling these are going to be the most "inconvienient" as to wear both they and the case is very very large BUT counter this by being very light weight. Lastely if listening to live music these are scary how clean and detailed they are again I love my P7's and their sound but they I've learned are more for the FLAC files or I guess "normal" files for the Beyer's are just amazing I hear people chattering beside me I can hear rustling of info sheets etc... very very clean and astonishingly detailed. A potential huge downside to these are that they do not have a removable cable nor a mic.

Finally the momentums, similar to the P7's I find these have a very nice warm natural sound to them. To customers I describe them as being "as close to a reference class you can get without being reference" for I find these to be colored to the bass side. In terms of comfort I find these to be the least of the ones mentioned and also not for any ear for I find the cans to be a tad small and also like the Beyer's I find both the headphones and the case to be rather on the bulky side. As far as soundstage I'd put them right on the same par as the P7's but maybe slightly cleaner. Though I do enjoy the Momentums I much prefer the other two. The comfort and sound quality for what I like in music are much outshined by the other said models.

So overall I'd rate them like this

Traveler Friendly
P7-Momentum-T70p

Sound quality/fun
P7-Momentum-T70p

Sound quality/accuracy
T70p-Momentum-P7

Durability
P7-T70p-Momentum

Weight (light to heavy)
Momentum-T70p-P7

Soundstage
T70p-P7/Momentum (very very similar as said the Momentums are slightly cleaner but the P7's have a better depth)
I suppose it took you 6 months to write that :p

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 16
Nope good comback though wrote it for others who are comparing the same headphones or if hes even still looking

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #13 of 16
Nope good comback though wrote it for others who are comparing the same headphones or if hes even still looking
I was just joking with you man, I just saw this thread in my subscribed list as having something new in it and it surprised me. Maybe you should write reviews, people who write long, thought out posts like that are usually good at them.

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #14 of 16
I was just joking with

you man, I just saw this thread in my subscribed list as having something new in it and it surprised me. Maybe you should write reviews, people who write long, thought out posts like that are usually good at them.

Eh either way i took no offense cause it was rather silly and i appreciate it but there are already so many reviewers out there that i feel it quite unnecessary my only 1 up is i work in a high end headphone store and have a mass of brands and product at my disposal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back