B&W P7 for free VS Sennheiser HD700 for $50
Jan 15, 2014 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Earbones

500+ Head-Fier
UPDATE- As I'm more of an in-ear guy, I enquired about the similarly-priced (to the HD700) Sennheiser IE 800, and am able to get those for shipping cost... So I'm going that way.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's a long story, but due to a work connection I can get a B&W P7 for free, or the Sennheiser HD700 for roughly $50 (I'm paying shipping from Ireland). Both would be new in the box.

Obviously the price difference between the suggested MSRP's is quite dramatic, but in the reviews I've read it appears the P7 is performing at the top-end of it's price bracket, and into higher price-point territory... While many reviews say the HD700 is very overpriced for what it delivers... Of course, this is all relevant. If the prices on these cans were reversed, the HD700 might be the one with the glowing reviews, and the P7 might be heavily criticized. 

Since I'm essentially getting either one for free (or almost free), the question is which delivers the best sound, independent of value? In the aftermath of the zombie apocalypse, which of these cans would you be more pleased to find in an abandoned hi-fi store?

FOUR POINTS-

-Open VS closed doesn't matter, these will be used in a quiet room by myself.
-I can't get the HD700s and sell them to fund another option... Work policies come into play there.
-My playlist is eclectic. Favorites are new wave, classical, garage, and electronica. But basically anything except rap (rarely).
-My source is an iPhone 5 and a Fiio e12.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #3 of 3
HD700 over p7 anytime, everytime. I'm not really a fan of either but the hd700 seems to be on a hole other level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back