B&W p5 vs Vmoda Crossfade
Nov 6, 2010 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Dyn4m1c95

100+ Head-Fier
Overall which of the 2 sound better. I tested the Beats by dre at amazon and they have this ugly sharp sibilance at full volume while  the b&w p5's have none
smily_headphones1.gif
But I haven't tested out the crossfade and want to know which sounds better the crossfades or the b&w p5's?

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 12
Please give me the right to add the aurvana live! in the comparison. I am between the v-moda crossfade too and the CAL!

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 12
well I want the headphones to be portable. Also let me add I can put the B&W p5's on full volume with no sibilance while the beats got me fatigued. And also on full volume from my iphone 4 the B&W's gave more punch and quality in bass then the beats. ^^ Why do you want to compare ugly looking cans with a sexy monster?

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
Please give me the right to add the aurvana live! in the comparison. I am between the v-moda crossfade too and the CAL!

Go for the CAL!. The V-Modas are better-built, much more isolating, and come with a good accessory pack but the CAL! is much cheaper, sounds better, and is more comfortable. Size-wise they aren't that far apart but the V-Modas are much heavier due to large amount of stainless steel in the structure.

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Quote:

Go for the CAL!. The V-Modas are better-built, much more isolating, and come with a good accessory pack but the CAL! is much cheaper, sounds better, and is more comfortable. Size-wise they aren't that far apart but the V-Modas are much heavier due to large amount of stainless steel in the structure.

I get the point. thanks for the feedback. I also liked the CAL! after i read your review.I don't mind  if they cant collapse. The thing is that in Ebay there are some pretty good deals for open box crossfades, which can go maybe below 70$. That is the fact that made me interest.
So you think that CAL!s are superior in SQ?

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 12
You can pick Crossfades up for 100-120ish on the 'bay, FWIW.  I picked up a pair and they appear to be legit, they sound decent, nothing to write home about though.  Bass is massive, but a bit bloated compared to the M-Audio Q40s, which I also have.  Overall the Crossfades aren't bad at all if you're using them as portable cans, but for more detailed listening they don't quite make the cut.

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
I get the point. thanks for the feedback. I also liked the CAL! after i read your review.I don't mind  if they cant collapse. The thing is that in Ebay there are some pretty good deals for open box crossfades, which can go maybe below 70$. That is the fact that made me interest.
So you think that CAL!s are superior in SQ?

My crossfades don't have all that many hours on them but unless they improve drastically I don't see how they can pass the CAL! or the Phiaton MS400 (similar signatures) in SQ any time soon. Below $70 is a good deal for the Crossfade as a fashion accessory (by the way they don't collapse either) but sound-wise the CAL! is still better at this point.

Says a whole lot about the bang/buck of the crossfades at retail price...

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 12
I tried P5, Crossfade, Image ONE with new iPod Touch and I think Klipsch Image ONE has better bass(tight, deep, punchy)response with overall great sound quality compared to P5, Crossfade.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 12

I tried P5, Crossfade, Image ONE with new iPod Touch and I think Klipsch Image ONE has better bass(tight, deep, punchy)response with overall great sound quality compared to P5, Crossfade.

Wow I might just reconsider and get the klipsch image ONE but one question is it as harsh (sibilant) on full volume with an iPhone 4 as it is with the klipsch s4?

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 12
BTW Image ONE offers superior passive noise-isolation than others two and i tried all with full volume. Actually Image ONE got louder and sound fuller than P5, Crossfade and does not sound harsh.

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #11 of 12
I didn't think the Klipsch Image One had been releaed yet.  Perhaps just not in the US yet.  But I have been very interested to hear some impressions on the Image ONE.  Can you share some more thoughts on them?  Did you purchase or just hear in the Apple store?  Thanks.

Quote:

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #12 of 12
I can't really comment on the other earphones suggested on this thread, but I can say that the P5's have a sweet, relaxing sound that works well for acoustic tracks. Oddly enough they sounded better to me when I received them, rather than when I listened to them at the Apple store. At retail pricing at the Apple store they are probably very overpriced, though the build is nice.

The music/mic controls are a huge bonus, because apart from talking calls you can control music playback with your voice rather than take your ip4 out of your pocket and fiddle wtih the touchscreen. While that might make you look slightly insane (I get weird looks when I talk wearing my P5's in shopping centres, as it doesn't even look like I'm wearing any kind of headset - just plain old headphones) it is a great convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back