B&W P5 vs Shure SRH440
Aug 31, 2012 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

warrenzn

Head-Fier
Hi All

I would not call myself a hardcore audiophile (yet!) as my sole purchases in personal audio equipment consists of a pair of Shure SE210 earphones; and after reading more and wanting something better, I bought the SE420 about a year later, which I am very happy with for all types of music and for movie watching as well as for air travel.

For the past few months I have been considering pulling the trigger on my first set of real (closed) headphones; and have been looking at either the Shure SRH440 or the Bowers & Wilkins P5.

I figured that the Shure 440 will be a good starting point and a good all-rounder for both home / work listening and occasional travel use, but recently I saw the B&W P5 in a retail store nearby, they really caught my attention design-wise, and after researching them online - I came across some excellent reviews on these headphones.

So my question would be which would be the better of the two in terms of overall sound quality? I would be using them for listening to a wide-range of music as well as watching movies and also for air travel and occasionally at work. I am the type of person that would rather buy a better quality product from the outset, knowing that it will suit all my needs, rather than constantly upgrading and ending up with 2-3 pairs of headphones. If the P5 are close or equal in terms of sound quality to the Shures, I would not hesitate to get them despite their price, given their portability for travel and their build quality/aesthetics. On the other hand if the Shures are significantly better in terms of sound quality than the P5, then I would get the Shures despite them being larger and less portable. Source will be a MacBook Pro / iPod Classic / iPhone 4S. Un-amped.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 3
I would go for P5 ... but thats just me...

Cheerz!

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 3
I own the Shure 840s which are a bit better than the 440s. I have heard the P5s a couple of times and all I can say is that the Shures beat them in every single department with the exception of weight and portability. The P5s have a very undestated approach to their sound and while this might suit instrumental music and maybe chamber music for any other genre they fail miserably. My first audition was with dubstep and it left me cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back