B&W P5 - recommended for long listening periods?
Jan 15, 2012 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

duotone

100+ Head-Fier
Am going to try these out sometime this week and if they impress me could be a purchase later on this month (payday).

Anyway I am just wondering what kind of listening periods you guys/girls use them for? And do you have to have a break due to discomfort? I usually listen to headphones for around 4 hours most evenings at home when stretched out while laying my head on a pillow.

I have read on here about some people complaining that the headband feels tight, but as I have a small head I hope I might escape this problem.

Any other helpful comments (positive or negative) regarding these headphones from P5 or previous P5 OWNERS is appreciated, sorry not interested in people who have demoed them in the apple store for 5 minutes.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 5
First day I got the P5, I had it on for about 3~4hrs and I had to take it off due to pain in the top of my ears. But the next day I never had this problem for even having it longer. Now (5days in) I find it incredibly comfortable to use, barely noticing having it on my head.. except taking it off to my let ears "breathe." This is the most comfortable headphone I tried for long period, even more so than my AKQ Q701. But I have a pretty small head.

One more thing I would like to mention is that you should really give this headphone a burn in. I didn't "properly" burn mine in.. I just kept listening to it day after day. It is about 20hrs in and it sounds amazing now. The first 3 days I was contemplating whether to return it and pick up HD25 because it sounds really ****ty but I'm glad I kept it. I have tried HD25 adidas and now I honestly prefer P5 > HD25 in sound sig.

Oh and awesome isolation.

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 5
Bought a pair of these yesterday & listened to them for around 3 hours and they sound VERY warm.  Like all the instruments & vocals are being played through amplifiers & someone has walked into the recording studio and turned all the gain/drive dials up a couple of notches.  

But they do definitely show potential, listening to TAINTED by Slum Village last night it appeared to expose a lot more going on in the intro than I had previously heard. The first note of THE DAY WE CAUGHT THE TRAIN by Ocean Colour Scene hit me around the face with a richness that made me have to listen to that first note another 4 times to make sure I was hearing it right.  Never had I heard that note stand out so much before in 12 years.  I must also say I was very impressed with the vocal delivery on all of the tracks I listened to. 

As for comfort they seemed fine as I fell asleep with these on stretched out on my bed while playing through my Spotify playlist.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back