(B&W P3 vs Momentum On-Ear) Looking For ~$200 Headphones With Great Style, Sound, and Decent Portability for All Genres
Dec 30, 2013 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

miumius

New Head-Fier
Hello,
        I have about $200 to spend on Amazon and I'm having trouble deciding which headphones would be best for me. I definitely love the minimalist but stylistic/shiny look of the Bowers and Wilkins P3 but I'm not sure if the sound holds up (I'm new to this).

I listen to a lot of CD-quality music (ripped at 320 or sometimes lossless) ranging from indie-rock (alternative to punk/metal), indie-pop (synthy-stuff too), electronic (mainly ambient or minimalist like Jon Hopkins to house (Disclosure)), dubstep (like Burial), and hip-hop.

I've been primarily listening through speakers though I definitely want headphones that offer portability and the ability to walk outside with it without looking like a total tool (subjective).

Oh and comfort is very important also as I intend to wear these at home at times too. I realize this is a lot to ask though I am spending $200 (or slightly more).

So far I've done a decent amount of research to narrow things down to the Bowers and Wilkins P3 (http://www.amazon.com/P3-Headphones-White-Grey/dp/B0089W0D4E/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388124162&sr=1-4), Sennheiser Momentum on-ear (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Momentum-On-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B00DKPXU9A/ref=br_lf_m_1001918611_1_9_img?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=1687493082&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1001918611&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1WK0HN8FHC7ZBM1S4KFC)  (how do these look/feel?), and Sony MDR-1R Premium Over The Head (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-1R-Premium-Headphone-Black/dp/B009A6CZ30/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388432943&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+mdr-1r). I've been browsing these forums for a while and you guys definitely seem like experts so any recommendations, even those outside the few I mentioned (Over-the-ear or on-the-ear... though I prefer a more minimalist look) would be greatly appreciated. 
        Thank you!

Oh and finally the ability to be awesome without an amp is a must. I use an iPhone 5S if that matters.

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 4
  have looked at m 80?

Yes I dismissed them at first because I wasn't too fond of that look as they look very bulky but they certainly seem to be a great in the comfort and sound department. How would these compare to the ones mentioned in the poll (above) in terms of portability, comfort, and sound? 

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 4
  Yes I dismissed them at first because I wasn't too fond of that look as they look very bulky but they certainly seem to be a great in the comfort and sound department. How would these compare to the ones mentioned in the poll (above) in terms of portability, comfort, and sound? 

I recommend the V Moda M-80's, they are small headphones that can easily fit in a backpack or shoulder bag. Sound wise they are close to neutral and really sound as good as the source they are being played with, so the better the source the better these sound. In terms of the headphones in your poll, I have not had the chance to listen to the P3 or Momentum On-Ear, but from the opinions and reviews I have seen both the P3 and Momentum On Ear are not really worth it considering that both the B&W P5 and Full Size Momentum are actually quite small for over ear and are quite portable plus the P5 and Momentum sound a lot better than there smaller siblings. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back