B&W MM-1 Can i add an external DAC
Feb 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Johnnyhi

100+ Head-Fier
This question is to those who own the B&W mm-1 Can i add an external Dac to the MM-1's, i mean will it bypass the internal one via the Aux Input.? 

Thanks.!

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 15
I doubt it, most likely it will simply go through another ADC-DAC process. However you will bypass the internal EQ.

According to THG's MM-1 review, the auxiliary input has a fairly neutral response, while the USB input has boosted highs and lows, similar to the Creative "Crystalizer."

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 15
Ummm... that doesn't sound good, i contacted B&W yesterday about this and they will send me the response i need from the people who made it, so i guess i will have to wait until then, before i start crying... :) 

thanks for your response astrallite...

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 15
What's wrong? You can't effectively take advantage of a DAC's analog output stage unless it goes directly to a power amplifier. Computer speakers all have preamps + power amps contained in 1. You'd get the same effect if your ran a DAC into a receiver--you are just daisy-chaining pre-amps.

A DAC is nothing more than a miniaturized pre/pro--it's really meant for passive speakers plus a power amplifier.

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 15

Do you own the MM-1's? i don't know if what you say is right, but i know my ears don't lie, i just bought a Dac today and listened for about 4 hours with the Dac and didn't wanna go back to the internal one or without it, the difference... Amazing sound, and i didn't even had to be listening up close to find imperfections. just perfect sound for my liking. am not saying that the internal Dac suck or anything but i just felt that the internal one was more optimize for Vocals and that it lacked of other essential sounds...

Feb 29, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 15

There's a big difference between analog vs USB input with the MM-1s. I've got them hooked up via analog; if I do use the USB input I always run an equalizer to lower bass output. They sound absolutely obnoxious through the internal DAC IMO with the heavy EQ they are putting on a sealed 3" driver in a tiny enclosure.

Yes I do own the MM-1s; I have 2 pairs.

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 15
How did you got that?... well am human i listen with my ears and no by Numbers in sheets and lines... :) i receive today the response i was looking for from the B&W team and this is what they said  

" Good morning *******,

Thank you for your email regarding the Bowers & Wilkins MM-1.

If you decide to use an external DAC, you must use the Aux input of the MM-1. This will bypass the internal DAC of the speaker.

With kind regards."  

Even tho it was a brief response, that was just what i was looking forward to hear...i didn't even had to wait that long to find the answer i was looking for. just by plugin in the external one, i knew their answer already...

i don't hear much the bass from the small 3 inch drivers, i use an external sub so i cant relate to that...

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 15
Did you notice a difference with the MM-1 running a external DAC?  I tried it that way via the AUX input and thought it sounded worse.  Though I tested it with a so so DAC.  Just wondering if you were able to improve the MM-1's sound.  Thanks

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Did you notice a difference with the MM-1 running a external DAC?  I tried it that way via the AUX input and thought it sounded worse.  Though I tested it with a so so DAC.  Just wondering if you were able to improve the MM-1's sound.  Thanks

Yeah for me i notice the difference, the difference was it sounded more natural, it had ambience, it was more accurate... is kinda hard to explain. i used the Dac-it from peachtree audio and i'm about to get a new DAC from Cambridge, i have this set up with my tv i get the digital signal from a WD live Hub Through Optical, i'm doing this since this is how i use the speakers the most...

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 15
Hi All,

This is my first time getting into better quality music.
I am currently setup with a Topping D2 DAC/Amp and the MM-1's / HD598 / SL99.

I know the answer to "B&W MM-1 Can i add an external DAC" has been answered ... Yes, via the Aux input.

I just wanted to add that I tried out both the MM-1 inbuilt DAC as well as the Topping, and to my ears at least, I found the external Topping D2 DAC a little better. Not so bass heavy and a little more natural compared to the MM-1 DAC. But that is just me.

May 11, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #12 of 15
Any thoughts on how good the B&W MM-1 built-in DAC is? I have the MM-1 speakers and has connected my Sennheiser HD595 headphones to it. It sounds very good, but I can't help but wonder if it would sound even better with, say a Schiit Modi 2 stand alone DAC?

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 15
  Any thoughts on how good the B&W MM-1 built-in DAC is? I have the MM-1 speakers and has connected my Sennheiser HD595 headphones to it. It sounds very good, but I can't help but wonder if it would sound even better with, say a Schiit Modi 2 stand alone DAC?

This is something I would like to know as well. According to B&W you can plug your headphones into the headphone jack on the speaker, but I would think that the DAC on the MM-1s are designed specifically for the speaker rather than the headphone jack. Anybody who's tried listening with headphones using the DAC in the MM-1s?

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #14 of 15
redface.gif

May 20, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #15 of 15
  How did you got that?... well am human i listen with my ears and no by Numbers in sheets and lines... :) i receive today the response i was looking for from the B&W team and this is what they said  

" Good morning *******,

Thank you for your email regarding the Bowers & Wilkins MM-1.

If you decide to use an external DAC, you must use the Aux input of the MM-1. This will bypass the internal DAC of the speaker.

With kind regards."  

Even tho it was a brief response, that was just what i was looking forward to hear...i didn't even had to wait that long to find the answer i was looking for. just by plugin in the external one, i knew their answer already...

i don't hear much the bass from the small 3 inch drivers, i use an external sub so i cant relate to that...

So you connected the external DAC to the MM-1 speakers.  Did you then use headphones on the DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back