B&W DM605 - Going to hear a used pair
Jan 9, 2006 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Inter

100+ Head-Fier
Guys,

I was wondering if anyone got any experience with these speakers? For those who haven't, they are a three-way speaker with built-in amps for the bass-elements. The measurements are 2 8" basses, a 7" mid and a Nautilus-based 1" treble-element (if I remember correctly). They've received excellent reviews everywhere. I can't find a single one where they haven't been awarded some choice award or other.

And I'm getting a reasonable deal for a 5 year old pair so I'm gonna head out to hear them in action next week.

My questions are, what can I expect from them? Are they any good at all? I've been told they got great dynamics, which is always what I am looking for. In the case of buying them, he will also throw in a Marantz CD6000KI (for about $300). I will use this player as a source and my trusty Marantz PM-66SE Signature as amp. What do you all think? The thing with the speakers is that they do not require a very powerful amp because of the built-in amps for the bass-elements.

Any thoughs?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 5
I auditioned the new Dali Ikon 7 loudspeakers today, but I just can't get around the 2-way sound. It just doesn't seem right to my ears. I've had 3-way speakers in the past and however much worse they were to the Ikon (which really had a great punch and treble, but like in most 2-way speakers, wrong or bad mids), the way the bass and mids are conveyed just doesn't do it for me.

The Ikon 7 is a step down in terms of price, although they are new, while the DM605 is 5 years old.

Should be interesting!

Jan 10, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
How does the Ikon compare to the Suite series?

Haven't heard the Suite series so I can't tell. Maybe someone else can give an insight.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back