B&W DM602.5 tweeter
Jul 24, 2009 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mellows

100+ Head-Fier
Playing music from my iPod Classic, through my Pioneer A-109 to my B&W speakers.

If the iPod is paused and I max the volume on the amp there is a tiny bit of noise but I'm sure that's normal. When playing a song at high volume, there seems to be a lot of noise coming out of the tweeter, noticeable during quiet parts of the song.

So this noise must just be created by the iPod right?

An interesting thing is that there is much much more noise if I unplug the iPod. I assume that means it's picking up all sorts of interference then.

Lastly, is the metallic dome the actual tweeter or is the tweeter behind it? There are a few creases in the dome and I'm just interested...

Thanks for your help.

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 9
uh i wouldnt max out the volume on the amp

if you unplug the ipod and switch to a different input, is there noise still?

also what kind of connection are you using on the ipod? the 3.5mm or the LOD

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 9
No, if I switch to an unused input the noise pretty much disappears. It's more while playing music loudly anyway - the bit of noise that comes out when paused is actually completely negligible. Well I just maxed it out for the purpose of listening to see if there's any noise when paused. Why shouldn't I max it? I don't really ever when actually listening to music.

Using the 3.5mm connection...

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 9
It sounds like the noise is coming from the source (your Ipod).
The dome is part of the tweeter even though it's detachable. The part behind is the permanent magnet and the suspension. The dome part is the radiator and the voice coil is wound around the circumfrence of the base of the dome. The creases in the dome, especially if the dome is metallic, won't be hugely detrimental but are not ideal.

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 9
try a LOD connection

the ipod amp is not that great which introduces noise, esp on the hdd ones
i remember i could hear the faint noise of the hdd spinning

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightOwl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like the noise is coming from the source (your Ipod).
The dome is part of the tweeter even though it's detachable. The part behind is the permanent magnet and the suspension. The dome part is the radiator and the voice coil is wound around the circumfrence of the base of the dome. The creases in the dome, especially if the dome is metallic, won't be hugely detrimental but are not ideal.

So it is the little metallic dome that makes the sound. I thought that there might be a little silk drives behind or something. It's obviously difficult to tell whether that little metallic dome is doing anything... It's just quite different from normal midrange/bass drivers... And this is the first time I've had my own nice speakers to look into this stuff. :wink:

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by endless402 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try a LOD connection

the ipod amp is not that great which introduces noise, esp on the hdd ones
i remember i could hear the faint noise of the hdd spinning

Ya I think I should get a LOD. What about output from a laptop/PC? Does that have an amp stage at all or is just pure line out? I'll check whether it's better off my laptop.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #8 of 9
the line out in laptops arent that great too. lots of noise. my laptop still generates noise even if the song is paused. i can hear my hdd spin up and down
best to use the digital out on the laptop if you have one

otherwise external soundcard or dac via usb. there are a few budget ones you can get for around 50-100 if you dont feel like spending too much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back