B&W 805?
Sep 2, 2008 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wjf

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have the opportunity to buy B&W 805 used @ 1100. I was able to test the newer 805s and really liked but can't afford them. Does it make sense to pay this for the older used model or for this price can I do better (I am looking at Totem rainmaker which I didn't like as much as 805s...but am looking to stay around $1000)

Thanks!

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 8
Obviously the best option would be to audition the speakers prior to purchase to at least get an idea what the sound difference is between the 805 and 805s. A quick search on audiogon shows thats a good price on them @ 1100 if they are in good shape. I listened to some 805s myself while auditioning some loudspeakers and found their performance to vary greatly depending on the amp driving them so you may want to factor that in as well.

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 8
There's a somewhat significant difference between the 805 N and the 805 S. I'm assuming you can't audition the speakers, but if you can get it for $1100 without any shipping charges, that's a pretty decent deal. As long as you've auditioned other speakers but do like/prefer the B&W sound, definitely pull the trigger. Regardless, the 805's (any model) are pretty enjoyable speakers

Sep 3, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 8
Did you have a chance to audition any Dali's?
I listened to the helicon line but I have heard nothing but great stuff about the monitor line which used should fall in ur price range.

Sep 5, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 8
What are you driving these with? B&W like power behind them. Same goes for Totem, btw (I have Totem Hawk, I also had some B&W 805). I drive them with a BAT integrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back