B&W 7 - Cheaper alternative with Similar Sound ?
Dec 17, 2014 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

benjitb

100+ Head-Fier
I have been out listening to HP's today and loved the B&W 7's, but I can't justify that price tag or afford it.

I recently got the Logitech UE 6000, these are going back as I found them too jumpy and a bit bass heavy, although behind that is a good quality sound, i just find it overall too distracting. The fit of UE's wasn't perfect for me either. They were £50 ($80).

Anyone have the unlikely recommendation for anything that comes close?

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 16
  I have been out listening to HP's today and loved the B&W 7's, but I can't justify that price tag or afford it.

I recently got the Logitech UE 6000, these are going back as I found them too jumpy and a bit bass heavy, although behind that is a good quality sound, i just find it overall too distracting. The fit of UE's wasn't perfect for me either. They were £50 ($80).

Anyone have the unlikely recommendation for anything that comes close?

What about Nad Viso HP50? Still quite expensive, but not as much as P7s

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 16
Well, now i'm thinking the headphone can be open as well  (but over ear) as i'd be using it at home for music & films (incl BD).
I'm def getting the Koss ksc75's. The Nad Viso HP50 is too "dear" as we say over here.

My budget seems to be creeping up! I'm in the UK so i want to buy from Amazon as for some HP's it is almost half the price.
If the product was right i could just about make myself spend a bit over $100. Sadly not all HP's ship here from Amazon so the range is somewhat limited, most of the HP's i've wanted have been "no UK shipping".

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 16
BW P7 and Akgs are nothing alike. Totally different headphones.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 16

Very true, and I can tell you that B&W's sound signature is rather unique.

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 16
You won't find anything that sounds exactly like the P7, but it seems like a V-shaped headphone is what you're looking for. For example, a Beyerdynamic DT-990 would be somewhat similar, though with less deep bass, a bit more treble, and more open-sounding. 

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 16
Many thanks for your imput everyone.

Quote:

I havn't managed to sample the AVG's, Was interested as the open ones in particular are good for clarity and precision, plus i save a lot of money importing the 701's to the UK.

Quote:
  Very true, and I can tell you that B&W's sound signature is rather unique.

With my limited testing i have found this. I wouldn't be able to describe it's "sound signature" myself.

Quote:
  You won't find anything that sounds exactly like the P7, but it seems like a V-shaped headphone is what you're looking for. For example, a Beyerdynamic DT-990 would be somewhat similar, though with less deep bass, a bit more treble, and more open-sounding. 

I don't understand "V signature".  The 701/612 would cost more as i'd need to buy an amp, its all potentially too expensive!
The Bayer 990/Senn 600/AKG 700 are all class leaders (i think) i had only discounted the Bayers thinking they may be a bit bass heavy.
Do you mean these Beyer's? (£107) Are they easier to drive?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT990-PRO-Headset-250-Noir/dp/B0011UB9CQ%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJ2BX7QG7HCSMLDQA%26tag%3Dwwwdv-api-21%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0011UB9CQ

Also if any one knows anything about these, some people seem to believe they are very good (or maybe its just bang for buck at £38)
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SE-A1000-Over-Ear-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B0033PROOY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1418998886&sr=1-1&keywords=Pioneer+SEA-1000

edit: i found the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's for £107 if they are at all similar to the Beyer 990's

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #10 of 16
V shaped means there is emphasis on bass and treble. The DT990s do need an amp but it doesnt have to be an expensive one. Something from Fiio would be fine. The COPs might be a better choice for you consudering that theyre closed and probably dont need an amp.

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #11 of 16
V shaped means there is emphasis on bass and treble. The DT990s do need an amp but it doesnt have to be an expensive one. Something from Fiio would be fine. The COPs might be a better choice for you consudering that theyre closed and probably dont need an amp.

+1

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #12 of 16
Surely you'll be walloped with import tax what with 'Amazon.com' plastered all over the box?

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #15 of 16
  Now i have found a B & O H6 for £179.
Again at the uper end but it could be a bargain, i'll go in and test it this week, any idea how it will compare?
Entering NAD HP50 range too.

I've listened to the H6 briefly. It's a very nice headphone but it has polite, neutral bass. Not at all like the P7 which has massive bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back