B&W 685 Clapping Problem
Jul 24, 2014 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

leyleq

New Head-Fier
Hello there;

I've encountered some problems with my B&W 685 speaker. And i would like to know/share if it's normal to have such a thing or not.

Recently, while recording some stuff, i've noticed a strange response of 685's kelvar mid/bass drive among 10 hz-100 hz. As you may see from the video attachments, there is a clear clapping noise/distortion among these frequencies. However, this problem is happening only on the left speaker between 10 hz to100 hz. ( whereas between 200 hz-  22 khz everything sounds ok) The right one responses smoothly.

My amplifier is Marantz PM6004 (45w) and i've never reached the 40% of the volume limit so far. So in my perspective, it's nearly impossible to harm these drivers on by my own with driving improperly. I' also tried different channels, sources, amps etc to be sure the problem is not a source or any interconnect itself.

Does this clapping/clipping sound means that my mid/bass driver has blown or there is a certain defact? And what do you suggest to get over with this problem. My warranty is still available by the way. Do you think it's B&W ?

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 3
Could the cone be lifting off of the speaker body?  Play the music that causes the clapping and then gently rest your fingers on the cone while the clapping occurs.  If it goes away then the cone may be loose.

It may be just that these speakers distort at those frequencies especially at higher volumes.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 3
  Could the cone be lifting off of the speaker body?  Play the music that causes the clapping and then gently rest your fingers on the cone while the clapping occurs.  If it goes away then the cone may be loose.

It may be just that these speakers distort at those frequencies especially at higher volumes.

First of all, thanks for your reply NA Blur. Well, i've tried before what you said and to be sure tried again but definitely the problem is not cone related. The yellow part of the driver is somehow rubbing or striking somewhere in my opinion. I  want to be satisfied with just thinking clapping may occur at these low freq but the right speaker just sounds fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back