B&W 602 PROBLEM - DEFECT? HELP!!
Dec 7, 2003 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mr. X

100+ Head-Fier
I have just discovered a problem with one of my recently purchased B&W speakers (DM602 S3)....

When I turn the volume up to a certain level (appx. 50/80), some of the sounds cause the speaker to rattle. Here are the only things (so far) that have made it happen:

1) R.E.M.: "Cuyahoga" (the bass guitar creates a speaker rattle)
2) Tears For Fears: "Ideas As Opiates" (the percussion causes rattling)

I have swapped the speakers (left to right, right to left), proving that it is definitely the one speaker with the problem. I also tested vinyl & cd copies of both albums; made no difference.

Urgggh. This is horrible. What's causing it? Is the speaker defective? Is something loose inside?

I'm going to call the shop on Monday (they're closed today). I thought I'd check here first...

Oh, yeah, here's my setup: Technics 1200 (turntable) and Yamaha CDX-396 (CD deck)-----> Onkyo TX-DS575X (receiver)

Dec 7, 2003 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 11
I'd guess that the bolts which hold the woofer in place are loose. Try tightening them. If that doesnt work take them to your dealer. Since I'm sure they're still under warranty they should get it fixed quickly for you.

How are the 602 S3s? I always thought the 601 S2s where better than the 602 S2s. What changes if any did B&W make to the S3s?

Dec 7, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by qwerty870
I'd guess that the bolts which hold the woofer in place are loose. Try tightening them. If that doesnt work take them to your dealer. Since I'm sure they're still under warranty they should get it fixed quickly for you.

How are the 602 S3s? I always thought the 601 S2s where better than the 602 S2s. What changes if any did B&W make to the S3s?

THAT DID IT! ALL FIXED!!! Thanks so MUCH, qwerty870! You saved me a lot of hassle.

I'm surprised you preferred the 601's, because to me: no contest. Of course, the 602's really need to be away from the wall (at least 6 inches)....otherwise the bass is overpowering. Away from the wall, the speakers provide the most amazing depth I have ever heard in a speaker. I absoloutely LOVE them.

Dec 8, 2003 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 11
Ive had that problem occur to me with several other non B&W speakers. Its really quite common for the bolts to become loosened either after a punishing trip overseas or many years of use.

Im glad you like the 602s. Ive always been a fan of B&Ws. Now I own 805s. The 601s i heard were series 2 several years ago. Ill have to hear the new series 3s.

B&Ws always need to be kept from walls. Especially the nautilus series with the rear vented tweeters.

Dec 8, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 11
Ahhh...800's.....nice. I'll be there some day. For now, I'm loving the 602's...especially playing vinyl through them---ohhh, the warmth...

Dec 8, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 11
MR. X What amp are you using for the B&W's?

Dec 8, 2003 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by qwerty870
I'd guess that the bolts which hold the woofer in place are loose.

That was the first thing i thought of when i saw this thread title...

I always tighten the screws that secure the basket to the cabinet on speakers. even if they're not rattling, i tighten them anyway. i did it to my 602's and also to my mum's JBL Studio series S32's....

I always end up getting tighter bass...
biggrin.gif
(pun intended..)

Dec 9, 2003 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Ahhh...800's.....nice. I'll be there some day. For now, I'm loving the 602's...especially playing vinyl through them---ohhh, the warmth...

As you go up the B&W product line one begins to understand why they are so often used as proffessional monitors. The 800s expose every flaw in the recording and equipment. Unlike the 601s I owned in the past, the 800s are rarely warm and almost too unforgiving.

Dec 9, 2003 at 8:53 AM Post #9 of 11
I prefered 601s2 compare to 602s2, 602s2 a little bit boxy sound but the 601s2 are more natural and a better detail, oh i wish I was a rich guy.....

Porta

Dec 9, 2003 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by bundee1
MR. X What amp are you using for the B&W's?

Quote:

Oh, yeah, here's my setup: Technics 1200 (turntable) and Yamaha CDX-396 (CD deck)-----> Onkyo TX-DS575X (receiver)

These are the next seven upgrades I want to make:

1) Rotel RX1050 Receiver
2) Rotel RCD02 CD Deck
3) Interconnects
4) B&W Stands
5) Bi-wire
6) A 5-Level Rack
7) Music Hall MMF-9 Turntable

I still can't decide if I should upgrade the cd deck or the amp first. I've heard/read many different opinions; still not sure.

Once I've completed those upgrades (1-2 Years), I'll be ready to start building a 5.1 system.

Dec 9, 2003 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 11
I preffer the Sound Anchors B&W stands to the ones B&W sells themselves. They are a little cheaper and much sturdier.

I also preffered the Music Hall MMF7 to the MMF9. Its a very subtle improvement between the two. In the MMF 9 price range I'd much rather have a Rega P25. The higher end Music Hall tables (7 and 9) are not built as well as most other tables in their price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back