[B]RS-1 big improvement over HD600??[/B]
May 24, 2009 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

spickerish

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own an HD600 and an Ety ER4P. My amp is a Corda Cantate. I love my HD600 but with some genres (rock, metal) it sounds very slow and not very detailed. This is probably because I also have the ER4P which is very, very fast and detailed.

My question is: Is it smart to buy the RS-1 or will it sound too similar to the HD600??

May 24, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 17
QQQ,
Do you think the RS-1 is faster and more detailed? Thats something I'm really missing with the HD600.

May 24, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 17
I don't think that RS1 are more detailed(since i think that HD 600 are pretty detailed, it just not screams in your face with its even tonal presentation). But i think Grados is faster, but then again it's very amp dependant with HD 600(not so much with Grados).

May 25, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 17
For rock and metal I believe you would prefer the RS1 over the HD600 but I wouldn't sell the HD600 in any case because it's more of an all-rounder in terms of the genres it can handle. The RS1 is definitely faster and punchier than the Senns. You might want to take a look at the SR325i too.

May 25, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 17
RSi is more forward and pacier. However, much less soundstage and instrument separation, less detailed also. RS1 also mucho bigger price if paying in €!
I'd go Ultrasone over Grado.

Edit: The 600 require quite an amp, so for price, think of it as a combo which maybe evens out things a bit for the Grado

May 25, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 17
I think Grado is magic and addictive with right source, if someone says they are good with cheap source it is not truth though not really so bad with soundcard for example but lacks many.
MS-Pro (it is similar to RS1) are a lot of brighter than HD600 and offer fantastic sound with a specific music. HD600 are nice for all but I agree with you that not much fun with rock and metal genres but it is subjective.
I think you could consider even AD2000, finally I heard them and want them so much, these two headphones completed my headphones journey.

May 25, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 17
hi mate! the rs-1 is a MUST have cans if youre a rock and especially metal music fan. you won't be sorry. go now and get them!
the day i discovered the grado sound, i was simply AMAZED! magical sound.

but like others suggested..keep youre senns. for times you want more relaxing and smooth presentation. it's totally different sound.
and like everyone will tell you...grado is one of a kind. i never heard of anything close to sound like them.
enjoy!

May 25, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 17
I think you just convinced me Plonter.
And I'm definatly not going to sell my HD600's. But they just sound a tad slow en unclear with rock and especially metal, to me at least. I'm really missing the speed and detail the ER4P's offer with the Senns...

May 25, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by spickerish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you just convinced me Plonter.
And I'm definatly not going to sell my HD600's. But they just sound a tad slow en unclear with rock and especially metal, to me at least. I'm really missing the speed and detail the ER4P's offer with the Senns...

IMO the RS-1 will give you what youre looking for. but it takes a little time to get used to the extented treble. it took me something like 2-3 days(of pure enjoyment ofcourse). but it's a dreamy sound for metal and rock stuff.
tell us your impressions after you get them.

May 25, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 17
RS-1s are good for most rock. I don't think they have the impact the MS-2s/w flats have. The metal cylinder has a bigger sound over the wooden cylinder so fast attack genres shine. The wooden cylinder has a more natural sound with acoustic rock and vocals (singers not screamers). I have been interested in the MS-2 since sacd lover said he liked these more than his 600s for electric guitar.

I was able to listen to the RS-1, GS-1000 and the MS-2 on a SP, Xin and Pico amp and I liked the MS-2 better for electric and electronic genre. They were faster and harder hitting. They didn't have much soundstage but metal isn't known for it's ambient decay.

I'm one that says the RS-1 out of an Ipod sounds great. I don't listen to my music loud so the ipod drives the RS-1 at about 80% vol. and sounds good enough that I seldom put my portable amp on the rig. That doesn't mean the RS-1 won't sound better on a good amp. They aren't hard to drive and pretty effecient so I get more from them than my K701s on the ipod. For non critical listening, this does a good job.

Etys are the most resolving hp I've heard and love them. The RS-1 brings a rock colored alternative that brings a smile on your face and a foot thumpin. (did I mention you get bass too)

You may consider a re-cable of the 600s down the road. Many a Senn fan have said the veil was removed and the clarity improved. I think the Senn does sound veiled with stock cable unless you have a large amp. The HD 600 re-cabled on a ZD has the best sound I've been able to hear so far. Full bodied sound with plenty of sparkle.

Point is you can make the 600s sound excellent for a price. You can get better hps for rock cheaper. Depending on the sub genre of rock, you might be more impressed with the metal cylindered Grado than the wood. Both sound excellent with rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back