B&Os new $600 DAP
Mar 26, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #76 of 85
I'm studying electrical engineering, and I have a dream to create an audiophile portable player in a few years. I have visited B&O's ICEpower labs, and have listened to many of their components. I have studied under the guy who sold their technology to B&O, and it really is amazing stuff. They have managed to create class-A sound with close to 100% efficiency, which is why this player has such amazing battery power. They really do have a passion for making great sound, but ofcourse they are a big company and suffer from mass production temptations. But ICEpower is just an amazing subsidiary, and they have a pure passion for good audio at their offices. Just full of audio nerds with their gear. When I was trying out their various amplifier modules for mobile applications, I found it quite hilarious that they hooked them all up to seperate Benchmark DAC-1 that were just littering their music room.

I definitely wouldn't write this off. Personally, I am hoping for a new expandable version with FLAC playback, and without the expensive A8 headphone bundle. Maybe I will swing by the icepower office and see if i can compare this dap to my imod+move. I understand why people are sceptical, but B&O isn't Bose, and when ICEpower is involved, there is no reason to jump to conclusions.

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #78 of 85
without the a8 they are probably not too expensive but not cheap. as well, sadly i don't know much about a and o though i was born and grew up just across the pond.

i would love to hear this and then either praise it or spank it. i did with the d2 which was a little more than usual 4gb players and was said to sound heavenly and was... well... okay unless used with good big phones, then it was great.

Mar 28, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #82 of 85
The B&O is similar to the Aston Martin, it will get you there just like the Toyota... But when you want to ride in style, the Aston Martin can't be beat...
:wink:

Mar 28, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #83 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The B&O is similar to the Aston Martin, it will get you there just like the Toyota... But when you want to ride in style, the Aston Martin can't be beat...
:wink:

No - the B&O is like a Honda that someone put a Mercedes Hood Ornament on and now wants to charge suckers 3x what it's really worth.

One born every minute....

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #84 of 85
That is probably true...

It is unfortunate that these days quality is really hard to find. I do wonder though if a lot of the older high-end brands haven't gone the same way. After all Ford did own Aston Martin, Jaguar and Range Rover for a while ...

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #85 of 85
wow the BO is starting to smell pretty bad to me. $600 for a 4gb DAP. LMAO. Bend over anyone?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back