Bäverstam/Finehouse — A Cello/Piano Duo To Note
Aug 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:
Anyway, one of my favorite cellists is the late Jacqueline du Pre. Very expressive and emphatic, but it's her delicacy that can break your heart. There's no one else like her for better or for worse. I always immediately connect with her playing, which can send tingles down my spine. The first time I heard her was on the radio in the car. That was my introduction to her as well as the famed Elgar Cello Concerto. There was something about her lyricism and feeling that just jumped out at me like nothing else. Truly an extraordinary experience. BTW, the Stradivarius Yo Yo Ma plays once belonged to her.

WOW! Thank you so much for introducing me to Jacqueline du Pre. We've added the documentary to our Netflix queue. This is just beautiful. 

I wanted to share another of my favorites. It is a Debussy Sonate with Maurice Gendron Violoncello & Christian Ivaldi Klavier filmed in 1967 in Paris. It is mesmerizing. The balance of the piano and the cello is a perfect dance of contrast.

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:
WOW! Thank you so much for introducing me to Jacqueline du Pre. We've added the documentary to our Netflix queue. This is just beautiful. 

I wanted to share another of my favorites. It is a Debussy Sonate with Maurice Gendron Violoncello & Christian Ivaldi Klavier filmed in 1967 in Paris. It is mesmerizing. The balance of the piano and the cello is a perfect dance of contrast.
 ​

What an amazing, virtuostic performance. More importantly, what feeling! I don't think it possible to portray that piece any better. They've given me an appreciation of Debussy that I haven't had before.

Here's one of favorite contemporary cellists. Sol Gabetta. I really love Vivaldi's music, and she interprets it beautifully. What's interesting is that she plays some pieces written for cello naturally, but also violin concertos transcribed for cello, and she makes them her own. A joy to listen to.

Your wife will appreciate the baroque grip on the bow.

Crank up the volume on this one:

Going back to Elgar, I don't know of a better studio recording as done by Gabetta. Here she performs it live:

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:
Im confused. What is this thread about? An album of which cover is in the headfi news bar or about the artists? :S

Hi Lan647. The initial review was about a great CD featuring 2 incredibly talented emerging stars on the contemporary classic scene. And the subsequent thread is about sharing music that we like and want others to hear. We'd love to hear some of your favorite performances.

And in the meantime, did anyone ever catch this Minnesota Public Radio  article about Les Six? Take a look at it by clicking Milhaud's quote below:

"The indifference of the public is what's depressing. Enthusiasm, or vehement protest, shows that your work really lives." - Darius Milhaud

Learn so much more about Darius Milhaud, Francis Poulenc, Louis Durey, Georges Auric, Germaine Tailleferre and Arthur Honegger.

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:
Hi Lan647. The initial review was about a great CD featuring 2 incredibly talented emerging stars on the contemporary classic scene. And the subsequent thread is about sharing music that we like and want others to hear. We'd love to hear some of your favorite performances.

And in the meantime, did anyone ever catch this Minnesota Public Radio  article about Les Six? Take a look at it by clicking Milhaud's quote below:

"The indifference of the public is what's depressing. Enthusiasm, or vehement protest, shows that your work really lives." - Darius Milhaud

Learn so much more about Darius Milhaud, Francis Poulenc, Louis Durey, Georges Auric, Germaine Tailleferre and Arthur Honegger.

Ah okay. And the CDs name is A Cello/Piano Due to Note? Cause I couldn't find it... would love to listen :) 

I have many but here are some of my favorite CDs/recordings: 

Chris Jones - Roadhouses & Automobiles. Tremendous music and reference quality recording. 
Diana Krall - Live in Paris
Jennifer Warnes - Famous blue raincoat
Leonard Cohen - Old ideas
Melody Gardot - My One And Only Thrill
Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue
Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra - up close (a great binaural album that actually contains good music...)
Yello - Touch Yello

Enjoy =) 

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Ah okay. And the CDs name is A Cello/Piano Due to Note? Cause I couldn't find it... would love to listen :) 

Hi - here is direct information on the CD:
http://cfinehouse.com/collaborations/baverstamduo.html

It is the Baverstam/ Finehouse Duo. Sorry if I wasn't so clear on the original post.

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #23 of 35
Thank you, thank you, thank you for introducing me to such 'diamonds in the rough' so to speak as I would otherwise be oblivious to the existence of such musicians. I have to admit though that Steve Hunt I am familiar with..haha.

I am also interested in purchasing the Baverstam/Finehouse Debut CD or flac download equivalent. Do we contact via email on that website you linked Mike?

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Hey there Lmswjm -

These are amazing pieces indeed. Wow. Please keep sharing. Cello is also my favorite instrument to listen to. My wife plays actually so I'm a lucky man indeed. This clip blows me away. It's a 5 sting cello. This is Ernst Reijseger performing one of his pieces from Werner Herzog's Cave Of Forgotten Dreams. The music is amazing. Other worldly really. But it is almost out of context in this video. You have to hear it while watching Werner's movie for it's full effect. One of the best movies we've ever seen really!

​

I have to also admit I turned my nose up at first few seconds of the track after which I began to fall in love with this as you put "other worldly" piece. Crazy!

It was probably the combination of the video accompanying the audio and the fact that it was youtube audio that I may have become snobbish for the first few seconds.

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #25 of 35
If you listen to Ernst Reijseger during Cave of Forgotten Dreams, it becomes one of the most surreal experiences that I can describe. First of all - the movie is amazing. The subject matter is mind altering. And the music ties it all together.

I'll find information on where the CD's can be ordered. Thanks all!

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:
Shame this thread does not have that much interest. 

Haha seems we are more focused on new IEMs, headphones, amps etc etc etc...More the equipment rather than the music. It's good to have these threads though since those who are interested will hopefully add to the conversation.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Haha seems we are more focused on new IEMs, headphones, amps etc etc etc...More the equipment rather than the music. It's good to have these threads though since those who are interested will hopefully add to the conversation.

Indeed. Here are my two suggestion
1-Memory of Geisha sound track

2-Seven years in Tibet sound track

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #29 of 35
Nov 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:
Indeed. Here are my two suggestion
1-Memory of Geisha sound track

2-Seven years in Tibet sound track

Didn't realise there were replies. Sorry. Those are great tracks. Only recently have I begun to look for movie soundtracks - never really considered these before even for contemporary/pop music etc. Only recently have I heard the Lord of the Rings on and Batman Hans Zimmer and starting looking for more good ones..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back