Ayumi Hamasaki
May 17, 2006 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Dork Knight

500+ Head-Fier
Ayumi Hamasaki - My Story

I’ve had this album for a few months now and listening to it for the first time through the HD650’s, the sound that these cans produce with this album just makes me want more – They are providing such a fabulous sound to my ears straight from the box.

Are any of Ayumi’s albums similar to My Story, or could anyone suggest another artist with a similar sound to this album?

Thank You

May 17, 2006 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 23
I don't have that album in particular, but based from my exprerience, in general, Japanese CDs have much better sound quality than english songs CDs.

If you want nice vocal, Ayumi Hamasaki won't be my choice though.

Try Miki Imai. I don't really remember the album's title, but the one I got is the one with the song "Flowers". Nicely recorded and she got such a soothing voice.

May 17, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #3 of 23
a little bit different but you can try and find an album of this orchestra (i forgot the name of them but i think they were from ukraine?) doing jpop covers with the majority of it being hamasaki ayumi's songs.

Good luck trying to find it though, ive been looking for months :p.

I used to like ayumi's voice but it annoys the hell out of me now.

May 17, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 23
Well, the fact is, for professional's standard, I don't think Ayumi Hamasaki can really sing. Her vocal range is very limited and sometimes she makes this distorted shriek, I don't know why.

I'm not trashing her, but I think just like Madonna or Spears, she's more of a performer than a singer and relies more on image.

I like her earlier stuffs though (Boys and Girls, Maria, etc), but her current ones are craps IMO.

May 17, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
I like her earlier stuffs though (Boys and Girls, Maria, etc), but her current ones are craps IMO.

I agree about her earlier stuff. They have this rhythm and tune mixed with her voice for really good J-pop. (Fly High, M, July 1st..)

I have had a sample of her later stuff and didn't get too much into it.

May 17, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Well, the fact is, for professional's standard, I don't think Ayumi Hamasaki can really sing. Her vocal range is very limited and sometimes she makes this distorted shriek, I don't know why.

I agree. I think you should try some Maaya Sakamoto and hear some really decent JPOP.

May 18, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 23
Unfortunatelly current JPOP are mostly crap IMO. It's either some headache-inducing rap wannabes or too-much-westernised type of pop. Gone are the days of authentic Japanese pop (they had this Japanese style that you can easily pick up).
Although there are some exceptions, some Japanese R&B influenced singers do belt a few quality R&B tunes. I can't remember the names...
And it's hard to find consistent singers; lots of them make a decent album (or song!) or two, and then after that, all the newer albums are crap crap crap.

"Newer" artists that I used to like some of the earlier songs but not sure about the recent ones are:
- Minmi : "The Perfect Vision" and "T.T.T." (Minmi is too "fat" for Japanese singers, I don't think she has the look, but she really got a powerful voice)
- Double: "Who's That Girl", "Shake" (Shake is a very old song, this was before one of the sisters died).

Now most of the Japan top 20 songs are unlistenable to me. It's like you don't need talent or good songs; all you need is a cutie cutie face, body like a stick figure, slap a few funky apparels here and there and voila!, you got yourself a recording artist.

Anyway, I have some Maaya Sakamoto songs, but can't really remember which one.

May 18, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

It's like you don't need talent or good songs; all you need is a cutie cutie face, body like a stick figure, slap a few funky apparels here and there and voila!, you got yourself a recording artist.

Isnt this true for most of the world though?

For the life of me (and I'm a big rap fan) I cannot see what anyone finds good about 50-cent. Why, oh why is he so popular?

Anyhoo, I used to listen to Ayumi ages ago, but not anymore. Sort of died of the Jpop scene, and stick with my Initial D soundtracks
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #10 of 23
I like the songs in the "A Best" compilation album.

I think (Miss) Understood is OK, but not as good as "My Story" or "Rainbow."

The remixes are not bad.

No matter what, don't get "Ayu's Music Box." I made the mistake of thinking some instrumental versions of the songs might be good, but it's made to sound like a music box.

May 18, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #11 of 23
I Am is her best album IMO
biggrin.gif
I have her whole discography and thats the only album I really like
smily_headphones1.gif

Try these new and old jpop artists (listing just non-group/band artists):
Fayray ( try her new album Hikari to kage
biggrin.gif
)
Mika Nakashima
MISIA
OLIVIA (Olivia Lufkin of D&D)
Ayaka Hirahara
Cocco
Akino Arai
UA
Shiina Ringo

yea..I mainly listen to women artists :/
lambda.gif

May 18, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Unfortunatelly current JPOP are mostly crap IMO. It's either some headache-inducing rap wannabes or too-much-westernised type of pop. Gone are the days of authentic Japanese pop (they had this Japanese style that you can easily pick up).

That is so true...!

May 18, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #14 of 23
Thank you all - I shall make a note of these additional Albums and Artists and have a scan through the music stores online and in-store when I return to work next week.

May 18, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #15 of 23
I believe the good stuff is still there, but it is hard to find. I spend hours looking up good jpop and jrock stuff, and have the following list:

advantage Lucy - Nice, pleasant sort of jpop stuff

Swinging Popsicle - Again, pleasant, and it sounds absolutely wonderful as well; definately worth a try

Indeed, I agree with the Akino Arai recommendation (just got hooked on that one...)

Maaya Sakamoto is another one to try

OLIVIA is yet another

noodles is a good one, but they're more jrock with hints of jpop

I love female vocals, as you can see (I concur, Dachink
smily_headphones1.gif
)

If you're looking for none female vocals, you may also look at...

The Pillows - I love them, quite a bit, but their new CDs aren't as good as their older ones...
frown.gif

Asian Kung-Fu Generation - I pick and choose songs I like from them, but they're still good

Acidman - I really like them, they're a unique sort of band; like Asian Kung-Fu Generation but smoother vocals

I could go on and on really (and a bit off topic...), hehe, but if you're willing to go just float around soulseek (which is quite fun, mind you) it can be very worthwhile.
Helps you find music, so you don't blindly go buying CDs from Japan (which is quite expensive). I'll be doing orders for CDs anyway though...
rolleyes.gif

G'luck though!

~Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back