Ayreon
Feb 26, 2009 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

shubhangam

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone heard "The Human Equation" by Ayreon?

I'm listening to it atm, its essentially a 102 min long song.

For hardcore music fans only (not hardcore as in heavy metal more like those who can stand that much music in a single sitting
wink.gif
)

I'm on day 13 atm, and the music and setting is just eargasm.

Highly recommended

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 15
Uh, I am not a big fan of that album or Ayreon in general, but irregardless of how good/bad the album or the band is why does listening to 102 mins of music in one sitting make you hardcore? Shouldn't the quality of the music matter more than the quantity?

I am really sick and tired of seeing prog fans who think that more = better. Far too many prog albums would have been 100 times better had they cut the fat and left the good parts.

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 15
The quality is brilliant IMO

I just warned about the 102 min thing because many people are not willing to listen to a story of that length.

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know a lot of people who are ADD with music. They can't even listen to an entire song, let alone an album, so the OP is talking about them, not the average audiophile.

Got me correct
wink.gif

I told a friend to listen to Black Rose Immortal (Opeth), He asks me how long is it, I tell him 20 min, He's like What? I don't listen to songs over 4 min.
I'm roll eyes, my bad :|

I haven't heard any other of Ayreon's stuff yet

But yeah, when Day 18 started, I went crazy
smily_headphones1.gif
Brilliant music there.

Feb 27, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #8 of 15
Eh... The progressive nature of the artist sounds intriguing but the themes and concepts don't really interest me.

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its ok, has some good songs, some great parts, and lots of filler. Sometimes the vocals get on my nerves. But thats one of Ayreons better albums. I didnt like his recent album at all.

Agreed. I bought it because Devin Townsend and Mikael Akerfeldt make appearances, and I like about half of the songs. Day 3:pain and Day 8:School are my favorites. (probably not a coincidence both of those songs feature Devin and Akerfeldt) Pretty interesting album at the least, though.

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #10 of 15
Bought the album a year ago and am still listening to it! Can't listen to a single track only, have to listen to it as a whole to grasp the concept. If you like THE, check out both parts of Universal Migrator. 01011001 ain't bad either!

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by shubhangam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got me correct
wink.gif

I told a friend to listen to Black Rose Immortal (Opeth), He asks me how long is it, I tell him 20 min, He's like What? I don't listen to songs over 4 min.
I'm roll eyes, my bad :|

I haven't heard any other of Ayreon's stuff yet

But yeah, when Day 18 started, I went crazy
smily_headphones1.gif
Brilliant music there.

Reminds me of some friends I used to know.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bought the album a year ago and am still listening to it! Can't listen to a single track only, have to listen to it as a whole to grasp the concept. If you like THE, check out both parts of Universal Migrator. 01011001 ain't bad either!

I have my final exams from monday
ph34r.gif

I'll pick them up after they're over I guess
atsmile.gif

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
Has anyone heard "The Human Equation" by Ayreon?

I'm listening to it atm, its essentially a 102 min long song.

For hardcore music fans only (not hardcore as in heavy metal more like those who can stand that much music in a single sitting
wink.gif
)

I'm on day 13 atm, and the music and setting is just eargasm.

Highly recommended

oh yeah. if you can get into it, "Into the Electric Castle" is probably their most diverse and instrumentally complex album. some other good stuff is Flaming Row's "Elinoire", Seventh Wonder's "Mercy Falls", Symphony X's "The Odyssey" (especially the suite) Aina's "Days of Rising Doom", and of course, Dream Theater's "Metropolis Pt. 2:Scenes From a Memory" or "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" (again, especially the suite, but the whole album's good), if you're not already familiar with them.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #15 of 15
Wow this thread came back from the dead. 4 years..!

I listen to some of Dream Theater's music on a regular basis.. Octavarium and "A Change of Seasons" are favorites of mine. 

I'll give your other recommendations a try. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back