Ayreon - good for the long haul
Jun 4, 2007 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

R_burke

100+ Head-Fier
I just recently bought Ayreon's Into the Electric Castle and I really like it on phones, but was wondering if it is too "over the top" and pretentious to last. Any long time Ayreon fans who listen on a regular basis? Or is this stuff way cool at first and then easily put aside

Jun 4, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 8
I first heard that album in 2000, and I last heard it in 2000. So by my count, no. I was into a lot of the cheesier neo-prog back then but about the only one I still listen to at all is Spock's Beard.

While you're on the kick though check out Ambeon. Good stuff.

Jun 4, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 8
Ayreon is really great ,
i think his latest masterpiece , "The Human Equasion" is better .

It has been 2 years since i listened to him , and i still do
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 8
"Easily put aside" matches my experience.  I knew a girl who just couldn't get enough, and I listened a lot indulging her, though!

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Into the Electric Castle never did much for me, despite being one of Ayreon's more lauded albums.  The most recent 11001..whatever was a huge overblown POS.  I only tend to go back and listen to the Human Equation and the Universal Migrator, FWIW.

Completely agree with this post. Human Equation is indeed quite an album, I hear it after a gap every now and then and always like it.

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 8
I feel that I need to be in the mood and have an afternoon to dedicate to them. Last listened to my favourite 0011000111100111 - you know what I mean!

Jul 11, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 8

I first heard that album in 2000, and I last heard it in 2000. So by my count, no. I was into a lot of the cheesier neo-prog back then but about the only one I still listen to at all is Spock's Beard.

Same here. Used to listen to a lot of stuff like Ayreon and Arena, loads of related side projects like Nolan&Wakeman - Jabberwocky. Can't stand it anymore though :D. Ayreon lasted only weeks. It's just too much. In fact, I don't listen to many Pink Floyd albums that often for the same reason, but when I do I find no cheese in those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back