Ayon HA-3 "STATE - OF - THE ART"
Mar 26, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #92 of 107
Got a pair of Siemens ECC82 chrome plates, plenty of detail and sweet highs but lacking sufficient bass weight for me. Mullards are still my favourite.
Same with me:) Nothing can beat mullards! I am looking around to stock myself with a few pairs. I recently got a nice pair of mullards 4003, but currently using mullards 12au7. They sound fantastic despite i do not know anything more about them:)

I even use sometimes mullard 4108 in my MHDT orchid, which is a tube DAC:)

Do You have a good source of Mullards You could recommend?

Mar 26, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #93 of 107
Same with me:) Nothing can beat mullards! I am looking around to stock myself with a few pairs. I recently got a nice pair of mullards 4003, but currently using mullards 12au7. They sound fantastic despite i do not know anything more about them:)

I even use sometimes mullard 4108 in my MHDT orchid, which is a tube DAC:)

Do You have a good source of Mullards You could recommend?
I just took a punt on ebay and got them cheap. They were noisy at first but after cleaning the pins they have been as quiet as a mouse. Have seen some box anode Mullards but they are very spendy. Has anyone had any experience with those and are they really worth it over ladder plates?

Mar 28, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #94 of 107
I just took a punt on ebay and got them cheap. They were noisy at first but after cleaning the pins they have been as quiet as a mouse. Have seen some box anode Mullards but they are very spendy. Has anyone had any experience with those and are they really worth it over ladder plates?
I would be interested to know myself:) i do not even know how to distinguish it:)

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #95 of 107
Just bought one of these (Mk II) 2nd Hand for a good price. Arrived today and, so far, very impressed. I've been following this thread and, like most others, bemused by the lack of coverage the amp gets - certainly a very well kept secret. I'm currently using the amp with HiFiMan HE1000SE's and it's sounding great - a wide & spacious presentation with no particular emphasis on the highs (aversion to brightness!). Intrigued by the favourable comments of the amp & Empyreans, so (when funds allow) I'll pick a pair to try with the HA-3 (my experience of the Empyreans with other amps wasn't positive so I've never hung on to them).
Next purchase will be some Mullard 12Au7's as that seems the way to go.

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #96 of 107
I'll pick a pair to try with the HA-3 (my experience of the Empyreans with other amps wasn't positive so I've never hung on to them).
Next purchase will be some Mullard 12Au7's as that seems the way to go.
Nice:) indeed an undiscovered amp! Ayon combines all the best of solid and tube amps with really briliant imagining. Mk1 and mk 2 are sonically the same. Please share some more thoughts and pictures:)

I use it with stock tubes, but mullards are worth to go (have them as well).

And yes, Empyreans are really magnificent headphones on Ayon. Most of unfavourable comments on Empyerians seem not to be true when Empys are paired with Ayon. They are really dynamic.

I had a chance to listen to ZMF Verite closed on Ayou over the weekend and this combo was just kicking:)

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #97 of 107
I just changed driver tubes into Mullards. Wow, Ayon responds noticeably to tube rolling. I also inserted Full music 45 solid state, which seem to be smoother than stock 45'. Now the sound is smooth like a butter:)

20211005_200815.jpg

One of the hifi reviewers told me it is possible to use 2a3 tubes in Ayon instead of 45'. The voltage of tubes is the same (2.5 v) but needs almost double the current (2.5A). I wonder if it could cause any harm to transformer..

I also wonder if it is possible to use 6sn7 (through adapter) instead of ecc82. If ecc82 is implemented in 6.3v in Ayon that would be possible.

Any views welcome:)

Aug 16, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #100 of 107
I am real close to getting an Ayon HA-3. This is a short thread and there has not been any recent posts. Do you still love your HA-3?
I have sold my ayon for reasons indicated above. Mainly because i sold meze empyrean (ayon really made them sound fantastic) and prefer OTL amp for my current ZMF verite.

Ayon is top class amp, it sounds like a jet, but for Verite i prefer warmer sound even if technically inferior. It is definately an amp worth trying. Some units of the 1gen are said to be a bit noisy so You need to check that. My unit (1st gen) was quiet though and i like the look of the 1st gen more.

What are the HPs You would like to pair with Ayon?

Aug 16, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #101 of 107
I have sold my ayon for reasons indicated above. Mainly because i sold meze empyrean (ayon really made them sound fantastic) and prefer OTL amp for my current ZMF verite.

Ayon is top class amp, it sounds like a jet, but for Verite i prefer warmer sound even if technically inferior. It is definately an amp worth trying. Some units of the 1gen are said to be a bit noisy so You need to check that. My unit (1st gen) was quiet though and i like the look of the 1st gen more.

What are the HPs You would like to pair with Ayon?
Thanks @bpiotrow13, for the reply. The headphones for now are Focal Eligia, and Audeze LCD3. I can see either ZMF Verite open, Meze Elites, or Auedze 5s, down the road.

Aug 16, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #102 of 107
Thanks @bpiotrow13, for the reply. The headphones for now are Focal Eligia, and Audeze LCD3. I can see either ZMF Verite open, Meze Elites, or Auedze 5s, down the road.
I do not know Focals but i used to have lcd3. My experience with lcd 3 is that they can be (surprisingly) shouty depending on the unit. If You have lcd 3 pre fazor the match with Ayon may be like sonic heaven. Otherwise You need to listen to check. Ayon (like other top tube amps) is nor very warm and has extended hights. I would say it is neutral with hint of warmth and tube imagining people like. I tend to like warmer sound. If You like only a bit warm sound it may be very good with Verite Open and probably Meze Elite.

I think a Ayon is very understated amp which with proper pairing can be real end game, but at this price You need to check first.

What version You would You like to buy? Second version is said to have better stock tubes, but it may be changed obviously.

Aug 17, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #104 of 107
I am trying to get a version II but there are currently some sticking points. If you don't mind me asking what amp followed your Ayon?
I have bought custom OTL made by Polish small factory Sinusaudio.

I think the only difference between gen1 and gen2 of Ayon ha 3 is that Ayon eliminated the elecric valume pot and indicator and replaced it with additional HPs input. The electric pot seemed to cause a bit hum with some units, but my 1st gen unit was silent and i liked the sound level display. 2nd gen has also a bit better stock power tubes but this can be easily changed.

Aug 17, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #105 of 107
I have bought custom OTL made by Polish small factory Sinusaudio.

I think the only difference between gen1 and gen2 of Ayon ha 3 is that Ayon eliminated the elecric valume pot and indicator and replaced it with additional HPs input. The electric pot seemed to cause a bit hum with some units, but my 1st gen unit was silent and i liked the sound level display. 2nd gen has also a bit better stock power tubes but this can be easily changed.
Thanks this amp checks a lot of my boxes. I hope to end up with one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back