Ayon CD-1
Mar 28, 2011 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SDMAN

New Head-Fier
So I have my WA22 setup, and all I have to drive it is a Marantz DV8400. Not a bad piece, but definitely not the right piece for the headphone amp. So I went shopping. And found exactly the right piece. Balanced tube outputs and very highly reviewed. Im not very familiar with Ayon, but like what I read.

And the silver finish and blue backlight on the buttons matches my amp. Should have it by the end of next week.

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 6
Congrats on the cd player. It should sound great with your wa22. Ayon makes some really good stuff.

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 6
Well FEDEX just delivered the Ayon CD-1. My headphone setup is at work, so Ill open it there. Im working tonite and tomorrow nite, so plenty of time to do a thorough audition. I also grabbed a set of Acoustic Zen silver reference II XLR interconnects. I got my LCD-2's last week. No plans to open those until I get a good feel for how this new combo sounds. 

This new player should significantly improve what I hear thru my balanced T1's. The Marantz is 24/96, single ended and puts out 200mV from the RCA plugs. The Ayon is 24/196 and the balanced outputs deliver 5V. I have 2 balanced inputs on my Woo WA22 and plan to flip between players for a real A-B compare.

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 6
Keep us posted. I would like to hear how the two differ. Enjoy.

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 6
Well, the CD-1 is hooked up to my WA22 and I have listened to a couple od CD's. Emerson Lake and Palmer and King Crimson. I can sum the difference up in 2 words. Jaw dropping. Im hearing things from this player I never heard before on CD's Ive been listening to for decades. Soundstage is huge. Placement is precise. Clarity and accuracy of the recording is like Ive never heard before.

In short......I do not have any buyers remorse.

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Jaw dropping. Im hearing things from this player I never heard before on CD's Ive been listening to for decades. Soundstage is huge. Placement is precise. Clarity and accuracy of the recording is like Ive never heard before.  
In short......I do not have any buyers remorse.

That is about the same reaction that I had when I upgraded from my RWA Isabellina to my Ayon Skylla.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back