AXPONA 2024 - April 12-14th in Chicago (Schaumburg), IL - 2ch gear + Headphones
Feb 7, 2024 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

GadgetryTech

Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

This will be my second time attending AXPONA (https://axpona.com/) and I'm super excited to see/hear so much gear again. They have an "Ear Gear" room, which is like a smaller CanJam. Some bigger brand gave been there including Sennheiser, ZMF, Campfire, Ifi, Meze, Ferrum, etc. Warwick Acoustics brought their booth last year as well. There are also resellers showcasing many different brands. In the Focal speaker room, they also have Focal headphones as well. The Ear Gear room is fairly quiet. So while they don't have the same variety of CanJam, it is quite easy to listen to gear if you're in the area.

In addition to the headphone area, there are many floors and rooms with speakers, amps, turntables of all price ranges (https://axpona.com/exhibitors/). It's a bucket list-type experience when it comes to listening to flagship audio products, in addition to meeting some amazing people and brands. I just wanted to share the event here in case it's not on your radar! Happy to answer questions, and would love to meet some of you there. I'll be attending as Press, and will be covering gear on my YouTube channel.

Tickets are pretty cheap as well. Kids under 14 get in free, Gen Z (15-26) get in for $10 per day, and everyone else can buy tickets online for $28 a day, or multi day passes for a discount. It's cheaper to purchase online in advance, even if it's the day prior to attending. Ticket link - BUY TICKETS

Hotel & Flight info: https://axpona.com/hotel-travel/

Some tips/experiences from last year:
  • The main restaurant downstairs has excellent food but it's a little pricey. You get what you pay for
  • They have catered food areas in the main lobby, serving breakfast options then lunch options later in the day. Pricing is great and the line isn't bad, so you don't lose venue time by needing to eat
  • There are bathrooms everywhere
  • There is a food court area where the "Expo Hall" is. Lots of tables/chairs to sit and eat
  • The expo hall sells new and vintage gear, records, etc. It's worth walking through at least once
  • There are multiple speaker sessions throughout the weekend, with the schedule posted on their site
  • Some rooms get crowded, as many of the listening rooms are hotel rooms. If you wan't to visit a popular room, maybe consider attending those earlier or later in the day. Otherwise if you are okay with waiting 5+ minutes, you're likely going to get a listening seat
  • There are larger listening rooms with some flagship systems and designs, all were pretty unique in their own way
  • Tons of brand reps there are excited to talk about their products. This is your chance to get your one-on-one time with burning questions
  • Meet new people! So many guests are wonderful people and share the same hobby. Don't be afraid to talk to others and connect with those that share a similar hobby!
Here is my "Ear Gear" tour (don't judge me, this was my first one and this was unscripted) video from last year. I was pretty nervous making this video and skipped over a couple details on various brands/venders, but at least it shows what kind of gear is there.

Here's a loaded b-roll style video about 24 minutes long showing all kinds of speakers, amps, and other products we came across last year. If you don't like the music, mute mine, queue up your own, and click play!

If you have anything you would like covered there, or have questions please post. I'll be happy to address what I can, or perhaps another community member can help out. I will try to edit this post if certain questions get asked or I catch anything I want to fix or add myself. Thanks for reading, and I hope to see some of you there! This is not a paid post or anything that has to do directly with the AXPONA promotional staff. I'm just excited to attend again and I haven't seen anything posted here yet!

Feb 9, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 29
Just found out about this today and bought tickets immediately! This will be my first AXPONA and I'm looking forward to it. I went to CanJam Chicago last year, but this event looks like it'll be significantly larger. I've never had a listening-room experience, so that will be great.

But I must say that at 25 years old, I find the classification of "Gen-Z" objectionable...

Feb 15, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 29
Just found out about this today and bought tickets immediately! This will be my first AXPONA and I'm looking forward to it. I went to CanJam Chicago last year, but this event looks like it'll be significantly larger. I've never had a listening-room experience, so that will be great.

But I must say that at 25 years old, I find the classification of "Gen-Z" objectionable...
Haha - As someone approaching upper 30s, these age classifications will always be a frustrating topic. I don't want to stereotypes by age "bucket", but hey at least you can save some money I suppose? Maybe I'll run into you there!

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 29
Axpona is a big marketing blitz for big and small industry guys. The most number of rigs, the most number of rooms, the most amount of people of all audio shows in the US (correct me if I am wrong). The key to enjoy Axpona is to have a strategy and to figure out what you must listen to and the people you must meet.

I would also bring ear plugs as more than half the rooms are tuned for seniors with diminished hearing - not to be discriminatory but that's the truth.

I usually end up spending half the time talking to people and catching up :sweat_smile: I think I will meet up with a Head-Fi friend and possibly few other folks from the Chicago area. Happy to make it a larger group.

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 29
One year ago I attended Axpona for the first time, walked into the Ear Gear room, and came back a second day. Then found out about Can Jam and now have been to four in a row, what a great group of people to learn from - vendors and Head-Fi members. Happy Axpona Ear Gear 2024!

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 29
I just settled up in the hotel for the night. Tomorrow can't come soon enough! I made a list of favorites on the app so I could some of the places I had to see. I feel there's never enough time to see everything. For those going for the first time, try planning some of your rooms ahead of time. You could get more out of the show that way!

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #9 of 29
Hi everyone,

I am a jazz musician and a member here.
In case anyone here is interested, I will be at Axpona until Sunday night. I am performing in the darTZeel room (room 1210) and taking part in the tape panel run by Myles Astor on Friday from 2.45 pm to 3.45 pm: Speakers - AXPONA

My schedule in the darTZeel room is as follows:

11 am to 11.30 am Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Friday 4.30 pm to 5.30 pm

Saturday and Sunday 2 pm to 3 pm

I will have R2R tapes and vinyl for my last album "Vintage". I will also be playing test pressings of the upcoming record "Heart" on very fancy equipment and introducing my new label, Analog Tone Factory. Come say hi if you're around!

Jerome Sabbagh

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #10 of 29
I will put the Sat time on my calendar. Thanks and looking forward.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #11 of 29
Anyone signed up for the ATH Narukami demo?

Apr 12, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #12 of 29
Hi everyone,

I am a jazz musician and a member here.
In case anyone here is interested, I will be at Axpona until Sunday night. I am performing in the darTZeel room (room 1210) and taking part in the tape panel run by Myles Astor on Friday from 2.45 pm to 3.45 pm: Speakers - AXPONA

My schedule in the darTZeel room is as follows:

11 am to 11.30 am Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Friday 4.30 pm to 5.30 pm

Saturday and Sunday 2 pm to 3 pm

I will have R2R tapes and vinyl for my last album "Vintage". I will also be playing test pressings of the upcoming record "Heart" on very fancy equipment and introducing my new label, Analog Tone Factory. Come say hi if you're around!

Jerome Sabbagh
Thanks for letting us know! Will see you today or tomorrow for sure :L3000:

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #14 of 29
Sunday. AXPONA backpack friendly this year?
Considering my buddy and I are walking around with camera gear and backpacks, its been fine so far. Just make sure you don’t swing around quickly so you don’t bump anything or anybody.

Apr 12, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #15 of 29
Considering my buddy and I are walking around with camera gear and backpacks, it’s been fine so far. Just make sure you don’t swing around quickly so you don’t bump anything or anybody.
Not sure if I’ll bring my camera but if anything it’s on a capture clip as always. Backpack/bag is for phones ill be bringing to try on some amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back