DROP + GRELL OAE1
Mar 12, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #226 of 889
The OAE1s have a 4 pole 2.5 mm socket on each side. Both work as inputs for left and right balanced signals. The sockets are connected via a 4 pole over the head cable. A single sided 4 pole cable can be plugged in on the left or on the right side. When using a double sided 2 pole cable put the right plug (red insulation rings) in the right socket and the left in the left to avoid that signal take the extra path via the over head cable. When using single sided cables we recommend to plug it to the left socket when your favourite hand is the right one and to plug it to the right socket when your favourite hand is the left one.
Thank you.

Mar 12, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #227 of 889
Very educational! I much prefer the HD 600 and NDH-30 over the HD 650, so this won't be that interesting of a release to me. But I'll keep an eye on what comes next! :)
The 600 and NDH30 are both traditional headphones, although the 30, like the NDH20 and HD630VB, the driver is offset but still not in any radical way...the OAE1 in pursuit of presenting the out of head soundstaging is a complete departure from Grell's previous endeavours .
"The speakers of the Drop + Grell OAE1 are positioned so that their bio-cellulose diaphragm is at an angle to the ear, radiating sound waves like a sound source in front of the listener. This positioning also corresponds to the direction of sound incidence (first wavefront) of loudspeakers that are optimally positioned for stereo reproduction."
IMHO that is the "raison d’être" for the OAE1

We have yet to hear any impressions outside of the CanJam but Axel's new offering, should offer something quite different so it should or at least be, we hope, quite interesting.

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #230 of 889
The NDH 30 is not as traditional as it looks like. :xf_cool:
We mixed and mastered our EP with them, or I did while my buddy used BD 900 Pro X.

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #231 of 889
We mixed and mastered our EP with them, or I did while my buddy used BD 900 Pro X.
Braindance 900 Pro X?!?

Sorry, I've played too much Cyberpunk! 🤪

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #232 of 889
200$ more than previously announced.

Hard pass.
It was NEVER announced. Jeez.... It was an estimate for a product that was still in development, final parts list i.e. final costs not determined. Us audiophiles are a strange bunch (I'm leading the way for sure!)

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #233 of 889
One thing we must consider, this headphone is like an ear speaker. How much do the earspeakers cost now ?

MySphere 3 ~ 4500 usd , you need a powerful amp too
Raal Requisite ~2000 USD, again you need a powerful amp

And none of the above has sufficient low end output, they roll off relatively quickly (I do not like boosted bass though)

On top of that we need to remember, the diaphragm is replaceable along with other parts, which is a big plus. Considering these this headphone is not super expensive, actually a bargain. I just am mainly worried about one thing, detail retrieval.

1710296959797.jpeg
1710297315881.png

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #234 of 889
It was NEVER announced. Jeez.... It was an estimate for a product that was still in development, final parts list i.e. final costs not determined. Us audiophiles are a strange bunch (I'm leading the way for sure!)
I can vouch for the last part of Leo’s posting. 😁

Seriously, the HP will be produced via Drop, so, I doubt it’s going to be in the thousands of dollars. Fully agree w/ Leo also, an estimate is not a final price. It could even be lower than the estimated price. Let’s just wait and see.

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #236 of 889
I doubt it’s going to be in the thousands of dollars. Fully agree w/ Leo also, an estimate is not a final price.
Axel did just recently mention around $500.🙂
…….
Hear, see and feel what you get. Compare!
It is not 4999$, not 2699$ and not 1799$. But about 500$.

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #237 of 889
One thing we must consider, this headphone is like an ear speaker.
:thumbsup:
I just am mainly worried about one thing, detail retrieval.
Without the driver radiating directly into to ear canal it's hard to know until we actually hear one.
What's most important is that the sound is balanced, dynamics may also be of a concern but all conjecture, at least from my position at this stage.

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #238 of 889
Did'nt he (Monsieur Grell) also co-design the 58X Jubilee?

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #239 of 889
Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #240 of 889
I, myself, am ambidextear 😁
Sounds like the OAE1 headphones are ambidext-ear too! Love the pun! 😁
The OAE1s have a 4 pole 2.5 mm socket on each side. Both work as inputs for left and right balanced signals. The sockets are connected via a 4 pole over the head cable. A single sided 4 pole cable can be plugged in on the left or on the right side. When using a double sided 2 pole cable put the right plug (red insulation rings) in the right socket and the left in the left to avoid that signal take the extra path via the over head cable. When using single sided cables we recommend to plug it to the left socket when your favourite hand is the right one and to plug it to the right socket when your favourite hand is the left one.
Rather cool! 😎

Very educational! I much prefer the HD 600 and NDH-30 over the HD 650, so this won't be that interesting of a release to me. But I'll keep an eye on what comes next! :)
Don’t take my word over @xlcans though… I was in the loop up until about two years ago, and the CanJam NYC 2024 had a brand new prototype that apparently is better than any previously seen. Check out Head-Fi’s words at this part of their show preview (link should open straight to the grell part):

I haven’t heard these yet, but I hope to do so and leave a description.

Did'nt he (Monsieur Grell) also co-design the 58X Jubilee?
Yes, I was working for Sennheiser at the time: he was using the project to tutor a fellow associate Ronja on audio design and also managing the development process. I miss Ronja… she’s still working at Sennheiser. I didn’t get to have much involvement or hands on learning because alas there’s a sea apart, but Axel did give me one of the “bass light” prototypes.

That was educational though. When the HD 58X Jubilee was released, I saw many people posting that they believed they could increase bass by removing the foam between the driver and rear grille… well, it’s actually acoustically transparent foam meant to just help differentiate it aesthetically and sort of help in a drop impact with the floor situation, my bass light prototype actually doesn’t have the foam 🤷‍♂️ People also speculated that the HD 58X Jubilee and HD 660S were the same headphone (because of the impedance spec), but I have both and I can tell you the driver diameter and design is different, the enclosure is different, and they don’t sound the same. They can share pads though!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back