awesome IEMs for 1940s music?
Mar 12, 2020 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dumbblon

New Head-Fier
I'm on the hunt for some in ear/Canal earphones/IEMs that will Color and warm up lo-fi early jazz from the 1930s and 1940s.

Any help, recommendations or pointers will be greatly appreciated!

I'm very eclectic in music and listen to anything from 1930-1980 daily.

Current collection is: KZ ZSX, Blon BL-03 and Tin HIFI T4 which I use for modern/80s pop.

Mar 12, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 5
Audeze iSINE10.
I got to try a pair and was listening to "The Who Ultimate collection" and it sounded great.
I think planars are great for "Classic" recordings. This is why i rec'd the iSINE10.

Mar 12, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Audeze iSINE10.
I got to try a pair and was listening to "The Who Ultimate collection" and it sounded great.
I think planars are great for "Classic" recordings. This is why i rec'd the iSINE10.

I second this (if you use an Apple device). Since you already have the excellent BLO3 and T4, the iSINE 10 would be a great addition. I have your 3 listed IEMs, and the iSINE 10. It’s open back so it’s a great alternative to your current units. I recommend waiting for a sale or B-stock unit, to get it at a discount. Make sure to get the Cipher cable for Apple devices, as it makes a huge difference.

Mar 12, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm on the hunt for some in ear/Canal earphones/IEMs that will Color and warm up lo-fi early jazz from the 1930s and 1940s.

Any help, recommendations or pointers will be greatly appreciated!

I'm very eclectic in music and listen to anything from 1930-1980 daily.

Current collection is: KZ ZSX, Blon BL-03 and Tin HIFI T4 which I use for modern/80s pop.

U can consider the KBEAR Diamond. It is about $70ish USD, and is similarly tuned to the BLON BL-03, but with better timbre, better technicalities and better fit/isolation.
So it can be considered a direct upgrade over the BL-03 in almost every department except soundstage width (though soundstage depth and height are better in the Diamond). It is great for acoustic instruments and stuff like jazz which I usually listen to and is my go to for jazz.

Another option is the Toneking Ninetails. Usually 100ish USD, but during sales can go as low as 80ish. It has a rear/front tuning filter to give 9 different sound signatures (which are not gimicks). It can be neutralish, V shaped or basshead depending on the config. Great tonality/timbre, wide soundstage, good technicalities, very versatile. Isolation is subpar and it looks weird, but is very comfortable.

These 2 sets are also very forgiving of poorly mastered material, so they may be suitable for 1930s/1940s stuff.

Good luck in your search!

Mar 13, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 5
Hi thanks for the above recommendations, I'm wondering because 1940s / early recordings are quite thin sounding I.e lo-fi. What kind of tuning/eq curve I should be looking for. Very dark tuning, ultra basshead tuning, very smoothed treble tuning?

Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back