Awesome budget component alert
May 29, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #31 of 107
I had already ordered the CD player, and checked out the 5 free DVD's.

They do not let you pick the DVD'S.
frown.gif

The titles offered are:
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
The 6th Day (arnie schwarzenegger)
Random Hearts (harrison ford)
Fools Rush In (mathew perry)
Vertical Limit (chris mcdonnel)

Jun 3, 2002 at 4:02 AM Post #32 of 107
According to the Sony rep at the Home Entertainment Show in NY the Sony DVP-NS500V is being "phased out" and "production has ceased".If you can find this player,get it.I will go so far as to promise that you will not be disappointed.No one I have recommended this player to has come away dissatisfied.I actually bought another player to rotate through my main system.I was going to write a full review/comparison but I don't really see the point now that I know it will soon be out of production.

Jun 5, 2002 at 10:34 AM Post #33 of 107
FYI, I picked up one of these at Circuit City for $159 a few days ago. It was marked at $209 but rang up $50 cheaper. So then I spent $45 on the first two SACDs of my soon-to-be library.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2002 at 5:55 AM Post #37 of 107
Update:

At six of the ten retailers(three local,seven online) that I tried to find one of these players they were out of stock.

I also recommended this player to members of an audio club I belong to,it was auditioned at a meeting this past sunday that I did'nt attend.It was raved over and proclaimed a "giant killer".I don't know about all that,but it is a great player and you should try it if you can find one.

one annoying thing I have noticed about this player is that it does not automatically switch back and forth to stereo and multichannel signals when playing SACDs.This must be done through an on-screen menu,which of course requires a TV connection.What a pain in the ass.There is no front panel or remote control switch or indicator either.The one I have at home is not connected to a TV so when I first played the Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" Multi-channel SACD it was playing in multi-channel on my two channel system and it drove me nuts until I fixed it.Once set it stays the way you set it even if the player is disconnected or powered down(unplugged).

edit:
there is a switch on the remote and an indicator on the front panel,but again the actual switching takes place via an on-screen menu.How stupid is that?

Jun 8, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #38 of 107
This is a single-disc player, right?

I've been following the thread and am very interested, but I'd be buying it as the main player in a system I'm just starting on. How advisable would it be to buy a player that's designed primarily as a DVD player for the main component in an audio system?

kerelybonto

Jun 8, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #40 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
Update:

edit:
there is a switch on the remote and an indicator on the front panel,but again the actual switching takes place via an on-screen menu.How stupid is that?

That big red LED on the front of the player is pretty easy for me to see to tell whether it's multichannel or not...I've never hooked mine up to a tv yet and haven't had any problems. What do you mean by "the actual switching takes place via an on-screen menu"? Just curious...

The one thing about the interface that has really annoyed me so far is that there's no way I can find (of course, I haven't read the manual either) to put the player in standby mode without using the remote. The only thing you can do via the front panel is use the hard-power switch. That seems dumb to me, but forgivable given the excellent value of the player.

Jun 8, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #41 of 107
I see the indicator which tells you if the player is in multi channel mode or not,but you can't actually switch between multi-channel and stereo without accessing the on-screen menu.When you play the demo disc you can hear that something doesn't sound right.the demo disc does not have a stereo layer and is only in multichannel format.That lack of bass and distant sound on this disc is not intentional.I will reread the manual again to see if there is a mode which will facilitate autoswitching or a remote method of switching.

Jun 8, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #42 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by beni
The one thing about the interface that has really annoyed me so far is that there's no way I can find (of course, I haven't read the manual either) to put the player in standby mode without using the remote. The only thing you can do via the front panel is use the hard-power switch. That seems dumb to me, but forgivable given the excellent value of the player.

This is pretty much the "standard" way manufacturers do this on any component that has a standby mode. It's a pain if you want to put it into standby mode from the front panel, but I guess it makes sense, considering that to be able to do so, they'd have to add another button/circuit to the player.

Jun 10, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #43 of 107
Thanks to the recomendations here I picked up the Sony DVP-NS500V as a primary CD player as a start. It does sound great so I wonder what level would I have to go to to get better sound? $500, $750, $1K or more? I've got a 30 day trial period to decide and wondered what the alternatives would be? I can live with a $175 mistake. I'm aiming for the Corda Headamp-1 and HD 600 from Meier Audio.

Jun 10, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #44 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
Thanks to the recomendations here I picked up the Sony DVP-NS500V as a primary CD player as a start. It does sound great so I wonder what level would I have to go to to get better sound? $500, $750, $1K or more? I've got a 30 day trial period to decide and wondered what the alternatives would be? I can live with a $175 mistake. I'm aiming for the Corda Headamp-1 and HD 600 from Meier Audio.

I don't know how much more you would have to spend to get better performance.I have heard very expensive decks that don't perform as well.I don't want to over hype this player.I wish a head-fi member would write a review/comparison of this deck.It does outperform most of the players that I have tried.I have only had one other SACD player in my system but many,many CDPs.It is easily one of the best CD players I have heard and is is close rival to the $2800.00 Marantz SA-14 SACD player.you may have your doubts about this,but right now I'm using it as the primary deck in my system.When I get my new Musical Fidelity player($3,000.00 retail)I'm just praying that it sounds as good as it did when I listened to it in NY at the Home Entertaiment show.I'm anticipating that the MF will sound better in my system.Keep in mind that the MF is a redbook only deck with upsampling and costs 15 times more.

Jun 10, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #45 of 107
Tuberoller, stop it! You mentioned this when I met you at the Chicago show and it's been in the back of my mind. Now here it is again. I'm going to have to blame you if I come to own one of these!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back