awe-inspiring choral music?
Aug 8, 2006 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

adhoc

Headphoneus Supremus
I issue a challenge to Head-Fi's classical music nuts:

As per the thread title, I'm looking for awe-inspiring choral music. I do not wish to exclude an attached orchestra.

What counts as awe-inspiring? In a nutshell, I want something that will... well, make me fall on my knees and worship something. Something spectacular, something that sends shivers down my spine, something that will cause tears to stream down my face. Something, well, something awe-inspiring.

Or, if you're in the know, something similar to the finale of Mahler's 2nd.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 28
The hottest name right now in the choral world has to be Eric Whitacre. Not "classical" by an means considering he is still living and in his thirties, very young for composer standards, but his music is absolutely sublime. The way he stacks chords, his progressions, coupled with the way he sets his text make his compositions truly awe-inspiring. Sometimes the chords are so vertical sounding its like standing at the base of a huge cathedral and simply adoring its stunning beauty.

I have the cd Cloudburst and other choral works, performed by Polyphony, a group in England. I love it, they do a good job, and their is something special about english sopranos, their lack of vibrato creates a very straight tone which makes the intonation on Whitacre's most complex chords really stick and hit home. When I popped in this cd, I was blown away by the first track "i thank you God for most this amazing day," which nearly brought me to tears.

His other cd which is performed by the Brigham Young Singers is supposed to be the definitive performance, offering an even closer interpretation of Whitacre's vision as well as a stronger performance overall than the Polyphony one. I suggest you start with that one.

As a choral student, I have been in awe of Whitacre's compositions for quite a while, your in for a treat.

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 28
recstar24,

First off, thank you for your reply!

While I admit I was looking for something a little more 'classical', I will still look into your recommendation.

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 28
check out the opening of Bach St. Matthew's passion. The opening chorus with two sections of the choir (or two choirs) calling each other ("Sehet!" "Wen?") and the orchestra sections echoing the "conversation" must be the most spectacular piece of music I've heard. Other awe-inspiring moments in choral works are "Dies Irae" from Verdi's Requiem and of course "Ode to Joy" from Beethoven's 9th "Choral" Symphony. Moving out of church, check out "Va Pensiero" from Verdi's Nabucco (perhaps more moving than awe-inspiring, but absolutely beautiful).

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 28
Brahms: deutsche requiem

Mahler: symphony No.2, 8

Ligeti: lux aeterna

and I'm on a tiptoe of excitment when listening some renaissance-morales, monteverdi, etc-
and baroque stuffs-handel, bach,etc- at times but they may not your cup of tea.

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 28
Try this for one of the more primaeval sounding choral works of the twentieth century:
Janacek - Glagolitic Mass
Sir Charles Mackerras / The Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra & Choir
B000000AVF.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1115547802_.jpg

Or:
Stravinsky - Symphony of Psalms
Pierre Boulez / Berlin Philharmonic
B000031X7Y.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116044194_.jpg

A superb performance, but for the couplings even better to my mind is this disk with the Symphony of Psalms, Mass and Canticum Sacrum on it. The last two are quite austere works and may not be to your taste.

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 28
"National Anthem of the Soviet Union" sung by The Red Army Choir.

Best national anthem ever.

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 28
Not so much classical, but moving nonetheless:

"Prayer of the Children" ...I forget who arranged the version I sang. It's certainly enough to give you shivers though.

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 28
[THREADJACK]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86
"National Anthem of the Soviet Union" sung by The Red Army Choir.

Best national anthem ever.

great anthem indeed (I would never get tired of listening to it during Moskow olympics
rolleyes.gif
), but my favourite anthem is Haydn's "Lied der Deutschen"

[/THREADJACK]

Aug 9, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #11 of 28
Second the Bach Matthaus-Passion recommendation.

Also, try Monteverdi's Vespro della beata virgine

Aug 9, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
I issue a challenge to Head-Fi's classical music nuts:

As per the thread title, I'm looking for awe-inspiring choral music. I do not wish to exclude an attached orchestra.

What counts as awe-inspiring? In a nutshell, I want something that will... well, make me fall on my knees and worship something. Something spectacular, something that sends shivers down my spine, something that will cause tears to stream down my face. Something, well, something awe-inspiring.

Or, if you're in the know, something similar to the finale of Mahler's 2nd.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's a work that meets ALL of your needs:

Franz Schmidt: Das Buch mit sieben Siegeln (The Book with Seven Seals).

It's based on the book of Revelation, and is awe-inspiring. From the lovliest vocal duets, to the earth-shattering organ interludes and choral fugues.
It will send shivers: the earthquake setting is spine tingling, and done in a 12-tone style, no less (the rest of the work is tonal).
The Hallelujah in the final section is ecstatic, and one of the most uplilfting things I know.

This work, written during the mid-30s in Austria, is a masterpiece of the literature and is very well known and frequently performed in German speaking countries. It is less known elsewhere, although there have been a couple of US performances in the past few years; most notably in Cleveland.

There are now an amazing 8 versions available, but the only one you need is on EMI (easy to get) with Franz Welser-Most conducting. I love this music more than I can say. It might take a few listens to really "get it", but once you're hooked, nothing can compare. Get it!

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #13 of 28
Talking of earthequake settings, there is a famous Mass by
fifteenth-century Netherlandish composer Antoine Brumel
nicknamed "Et ecce terra motus" (Earthquake) for 12 voice
parts that is every bit as shocking as its name suggests.
Equally spine-tingling but in a rather somber way
is Tomas Luis de Victoria's Requiem (Officium defunctorum)
which, when heard to the sonorous accompaniment of a
chamber organ and a bajon (early Spanish form of bassoon),
evokes the same gloomy grandeur (and anguished purity) as
do the soaring figures in an El Greco altarpiece.

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #14 of 28
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........let's see....

Mozart's Requiem with Carlo maria Giulini?

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wil
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........let's see....

Mozart's Requiem with Carlo maria Giulini?

Some prefer Karl Bohm, some prefer Nikolaus Harnoncourt
in the Mozart Requiem. I personally like Jordi Savall's
recording best. Giulini's Verdi Requiem is great, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back