Aw, now that's not right.
Aug 29, 2003 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Russ Arcuri

20% more jawbone...15% less fat...
Okay, so I was trying to make a point about thread placement in the new architecture. I picked a thread that I recognized as a good example of the ambiguity here with the additions of "Take It Outside" and "Certifiably Inane," williamgoody's "Talk Radio" thread. I picked it because reasonable justifications could be made for putting it in any of the three fora.

I pointed this out in a reply on the thread -- that it should probably be moved to one of the other two fora. Technically, that's thread crapping -- my reply wasn't on topic. But it was the logical place to make the point, and I wanted to do so publically rather than in private, which is why I didn't just send a PM to a moderator.

A couple of people on that thread took up the debate with me, and I spent some time composing well-researched answers, complete with quotes.

Now my three or four posts from that thread are gone -- obviously removed by a moderator. I fail to see why that should have been done, for several reasons:

1. Thread drift happens all the time, and as far as I can tell the moderators don't normally go through and remove all off-topic content. There are literally hundreds or thousands of examples of this.

2. As I said, I spent some time on those replies. Nobody likes seeing work disappear so soon after they finished working on it.

3. While I remained civil, a couple of people there made blatant personal attacks on me -- much more blatant, in fact, than the mild infringement I was told I made on the "Hillary Clinton/Blackout" thread a week or so ago. So I got a warning for something mild over there, and the evidence of personal attacks against me on the "Talk Radio" thread has been wiped out. Normally I wouldn't really care about such things -- I'm not going to go crying to a moderator every time somebody does something I don't like -- but this just isn't right, considering.

I suppose this post will probably earn me another warning -- I'm clearly a troublemaker, and I'm complaining about the moderation. Oh well.

FWIW, if a moderator is reading this, I still think the "Talk Radio" thread belongs in "Take It Outside," for the reasons I stated quite clearly on that thread before they were deleted.

I'm off to a party now (see, I do have a life) so I won't be able to respond here. Have at it.

Aug 29, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm not responding or getting involved here, but it would really be funny if this thread got moved to the CI subforum.
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2003 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
I pointed this out in a reply on the thread -- that it should probably be moved to one of the other two fora. Technically, that's thread crapping -- my reply wasn't on topic. But it was the logical place to make the point, and I wanted to do so publically rather than in private, which is why I didn't just send a PM to a moderator.

Just wondering why you're trying to play moderator -- seems to me the moderators around here know their job pretty well.

If it interests you that much which posting goes where, why not chat with jude (he seems like a very nice, easygoing guy) and see if you can get a trial position as moderator or something? I'm sure those guys are always looking for people to lighten the workload.

Aug 29, 2003 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

I pointed this out in a reply on the thread -- that it should probably be moved to one of the other two fora. Technically, that's thread crapping -- my reply wasn't on topic.

Quote:

Now my three or four posts from that thread are gone -- obviously removed by a moderator. I fail to see why that should have been done

Russ, I'm guilty as charged. But your failure "to see why that should have been done" is answered in your first quote.
In my opinion, a thread about radio talk shows is not "certifiably inane," nor should it be "taken outside," and therefore was placed in the proper forum.
Should I have contacted you and explained the situation? Probably. For that failure I apologize.
I made a simple judgement call regarding where I thought the thread was going, and acted accordingly.
A lot of the stuff being posted of late is definitely inane, and that's one of the reasons I may have acted in haste. I've been noticing a downward slide in the level of discourse on these forums, and I attempted to halt the slide.
Hope you enjoyed the party.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back