Aw cripes...earbud woes (help me shop, please)
Sep 19, 2003 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Matt

Are there any women on this board?
EDIT: I am getting no responses to my original post, so let me reprase it:

I want clear, airy sounding portable cans, but do not want that drastic Ety seal, rubber or foam. It does not matter if they are in-ear or on it, I just want something that folds up compactly or is an earbud, etc.

Do I have any options?

Regards,
Matt

--------------------

(Original post
smily_headphones1.gif

Hello, all.

Let's make this quick. Here's what I've tried and why I didn't like them for use with my portable radio:

1. Etymotic ER-4S: yes, thin sounding with the portable source, 4P's would be better, I fully understand that; however, I *do not* like the isolation of either the rubbers or foam plugs. I need a happy medium between isolation and hearing others in an emergency

2. Sony MDR-W07: yes, a piece-of-**** VITE, but stunningly Ety-like (despite being rolled-off at the top and bottom with an uneven-but-very-euphonic frequency response) can. These are what I am trying to reproduce with hopefully some more isolation and especially with a more portable design (these have the non-folding metal band which is awkward for throwing in a pocket, etc.)

3. Sennheiser MX400: nice, but has what sounds like a recessed mid/vocal range and didn't have the sparkly highs or gigantic soundstaging of the Sony MDR-W07's. Detail is lost big time. Imaging is better than W07 as is solidity of bass response and low-end realism.

Can anyone help me with this? Esentially I am looking for any portable cans with a refined upper end, great soundstaging, etc. (possibly at the expense of solid bass response, etc.) that is more portably designed than the damned MDR-W07's. Obviously Etys would fill the bill perfectly if they weren't so damned isolating.

Am I describing Ety ER-6's here? (I've never heard them)

Price is not too big a deal.

I am using this out of a Fixup radio. It's a great source considering what it is, but it's not a Wadia CDP connected to a BlockHead, so I don't think I need every last bit of refinement the Ety 4 series offers. I just want a euphonic can that is portable with an emphasis on a refined upper end, even if that's at the expense of "serious" bass response, along with good soundstaging. That's my definition of magic...

Please help.

Regards,
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back