Avril Lavigne Sued
Jul 9, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #17 of 31
well, there are, in fact, actual rules that determine whether one song plagiarizes another and is a copyright violation.

however, i'm not sure what the quantitative measure is... something like at least 4 note variations every 16 bars? i made that up, but that's at least the spirit of it.

sounds to me like Lavigne's tune probably varies the melody just enough to squeak by. we'll see though.

Jul 9, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #18 of 31
this is perplexing. why would someone in their right mind admit to writing a steaming pile of crap like that?
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is perplexing. why would someone in their right mind admit to writing a steaming pile of crap like that?
biggrin.gif

Haha, I thought exactly the same thing. Both songs are rather awful.

Jul 18, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At some point you have to be free from prosecution if you steal mindless cr*p like that. Perhaps plead insanity as a defense?

Problem is, crap makes money. Lots of it. People eat crap for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So people eat other peoples' crap, poop it out as their own and everyone eats it up again. If we can't copyright crap, then we have no chance of cleaning up this $h!*hole.

Jul 18, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is she claiming she wrote it? Or was there a "ghost writer" a la Ace of Bass and Britney Spears?

I was under the impression that she wrote all her lyrics. I believe they marketed that "fact" purposely to help her street cred. They're certainly juvenile enough to be believable.

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Problem is, crap makes money. Lots of it. People eat crap for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So people eat other peoples' crap, poop it out as their own and everyone eats it up again. If we can't copyright crap, then we have no chance of cleaning up this $h!*hole.

Haha you are funny yet true at the same time
icon10.gif

Though sometimes the remake is better than the original one.
I remember a track from DJ Jean, like the first hit he had, ow yeah "The Launch" and it was real bad. The remix of that song however was real cool. Don't remember who remixed it though.

Oh and I wanted to say this a long time....Finally some justice! Rock- singeress my ass
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone else ever ripped off two songs at once?

Led Zeppelin. Their entire 1st album minus one song, i believe the opening track. well documented. check the latest greatest hits album, you'll see they arent credited for many of the songs from that album. the rest still havent been settled.

Jul 21, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree entirely, Most of my friends have the mentality that if it is popular it must be good. It annoys me to no end when most of what I hear sounds exactly the same as all of the other emo/punk or whatever they call it now. Every singer sounds exactally the same and the songs are pretty much indistinguishable. [/rant]

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pseudonym /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Led Zeppelin. Their entire 1st album minus one song, i believe the opening track. well documented. check the latest greatest hits album, you'll see they arent credited for many of the songs from that album. the rest still havent been settled.

That's debatable. Sure, they took a good bit of melodies from old hapless bluesmen, but they made the sound all their own, hardly covers. And they at least ripped off good material.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's debatable. Sure, they took a good bit of melodies from old hapless bluesmen, but they made the sound all their own, hardly covers. And they at least ripped off good material.

That's horrible reasoning - the "sound" may be all their own but the material isn't theirs.

But that's kind of irrelevant - the things that Led Zeppelin stole were things that just about every blues man "stole" at that time. The better way to phrase it would be that their songwriting ideas were inspired by standard blues licks. The entire blues genre is riddled with this kind of behavior, and has become commonly acceptable. This is part of what makes blues so beautiful; the free flowing exchange of ideas is pretty much boundless.

Jul 22, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree entirely, Most of my friends have the mentality that if it is popular it must be good. It annoys me to no end when most of what I hear sounds exactly the same as all of the other emo/punk or whatever they call it now. Every singer sounds exactally the same and the songs are pretty much indistinguishable. [/rant]

Agreed.

The All American rejects, I couldn't tell them from My Chemical Romance. Most Fall Out Boy songs are all the same. Today's rap is crap, not music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back