AVR headphone jack as source for amp - Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
Aug 31, 2014 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sawfish

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of HD598s and have decided to start using them more. Sadly, the headphone section of my Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH cannot drive them to a loud volume level without distorting badly. Even my 5th generation iPod Touch sounds much better, so I know the phones are good. I ordered a Schiit Magni and have concluded that to use the AVR as source, I will need to use its headphone jack as the input to the Magni. My options appear to be:

1. Connect the Magni to AVR via headphone jack, set the AVR to some low output level, maybe -60 dB, set the Magni's volume knob to some comfortable default level, and then continue to use the AVR remote to control volume. Hopefully, the AVR's headphone output is good from my starting volume level up to a certain point where it begins to suck, and I can stay within that range.

2. If my AVR plans don't work out, I also have a Line 6 UX2, and it does a credible job of driving my HD598s. It actually sounds quite good, better than the iPod and far better than the AVR. However, it's less convenient to use as it requires me to change my default audio device in Windows, and it has two big, bright yellow analog meters that can't be turned off.

I know it's try-it-and-see, but is my AVR/Magni plan something that usually works? If not, any better ideas out there? I already looked at the pre-amp outs on the AVR, but I'd have to connect the sub in a different way to prevent it from playing. The tape out doesn't work with digital input. Every alternative to using the AVR's headphone jack shot me down.

Aug 31, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 9
What sources are you connecting to the Pioneer?
Just a Win PC?

How about just getting a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, $84.
It will easy drive the 50-Ohm HD598s.

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 9
Most usage is the PC (WMC, XBMC, iTunes), but other devices are connected. I use optical out from the motherboard on my main PC and HDMI for my gaming PC, so it's actually two PCs, and I'll never buy another dedicated sound card or use analog out from a PC. (I've owned AWE32, Audigy, a couple of X-FIs, and some Auzentech model FWIW.) The UX2 has been for guitar, but as I recently realized, it's also a USB audio interface, and I found it to be a quite decent DAC/amp combo for the HD598s. I could even use it with both PCs as I didn't connect it permanently to one due to the bright meters. So either way would work, but the AVR would be more convenient. Hopefully its headphone output will be clean over a useful range for the Magni.

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 9
  Most usage is the PC (WMC, XBMC, iTunes), but other devices are connected. I use optical out from the motherboard on my main PC and HDMI for my gaming PC, so it's actually two PCs, and I'll never buy another dedicated sound card or use analog out from a PC. (I've owned AWE32, Audigy, a couple of X-FIs, and some Auzentech model FWIW.) The UX2 has been for guitar, but as I recently realized, it's also a USB audio interface, and I found it to be a quite decent DAC/amp combo for the HD598s. I could even use it with both PCs as I didn't connect it permanently to one due to the bright meters. So either way would work, but the AVR would be more convenient. Hopefully its headphone output will be clean over a useful range for the Magni.

I'm assuming your currently using the motherboard's on-board audio.
Why not just plug the HD595 straight into the motherboard's headphone (front speaker) output.
Or plug the Magni into the motherboard and the HD595 into the Magni.

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 9

I'm assuming your currently using the motherboard's on-board audio.
Why not just plug the HD595 straight into the motherboard's headphone (front speaker) output.
Or plug the Magni into the motherboard and the HD595 into the Magni.

Unlike the AVR, that approach is not a general solution that includes my non-PC devices.

Unlike the UX2, it doesn't give me a single source for the Magni given that I have two PCs like I said. The way I have things set up, it's easy for me to plug the UX2 into either PC. I wouldn't want to have to duplicate the setup for the Magni.

Besides, I haven't used analog input/output for these PCs in years, and I don't even hook up the front panel audio jacks in the cases. I don't install drivers to get S/PDIF passthrough, and I couldn't tell you if they're necessary to get auto-switching from optical to headphones when the latter are plugged in and vice versa, or if that even works, as opposed to muting analog speakers, which I would think does work. If it doesn't auto-switch the default playback device, then it would be no better than the UX2 situation. The gaming PC that uses HDMI for audio would be yet another set of concerns with possibly different answers.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 9
Looks like your AVR has front left/right pre-outs. I would try connecting the Magni to that.

Well, like I said in my first post, "I already looked at the pre-amp outs on the AVR, but I'd have to connect the sub in a different way to prevent it from playing."

Any input on whether a headphone section that sounds like crap at loudish volumes tends to work OK at lower volumes as the source for a good headphone amp?

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 9
Sorry. I missed that. But you also have Zone 2 & Zone 3 outputs you could try.

As far as whether or not the headphone jack would give you satisfactory sound, I am not sure if anyone can tell you. If the problem is that the HD598 are not a good impedance match, then yes this could sound better. Otherwise, you are will be amplifying the sound of the receiver headphone output.

Sep 1, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 9
Yeah, I figured it will come down to try-it-and-see, but it will be a few days before I get to try it. I'll post back with what I find out.

If the AVR doesn't work out, the UX2 looks like a sure thing. It sounds really good all by itself. I just wish it was more convenient to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back